Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

How the ClearPass Onboard retrieve info from the client smartphone to the details of firmware?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How the ClearPass Onboard retrieve info from the client smartphone to the details of firmware?

Posted Nov 22, 2013 12:29 PM

Hi all,

I understand that ClearPass Onboard performs health check on the client's smartphone devices and retrieve details information about its firmware, but how the client's device allow ClearPass to get this info? Is there a client software installed silently first on the client device? 

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,

Sultan

• 2.  RE: How the ClearPass Onboard retrieve info from the client smartphone to the details of firmware?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2013 01:55 PM

Yes.  In android it is an APP, on IOS, it occurs using the over-the-air API.  With windows it is an executable.

• 3.  RE: How the ClearPass Onboard retrieve info from the client smartphone to the details of firmware?

Posted Nov 22, 2013 01:59 PM

No client is needed to identify the OS version of Smart Devices.  ClearPass uses "fingerprints" to identify devices.  Examples: DHCP fingerprinting and host user agent strings that are gathered via captive portal authentication.

EDIT

I'm double-checking, but I thought versions could be obtained through fingerprinting.  Sounds like maybe I'm not correct on that.