Security

Frequent Contributor I

How to Profile Static Printers with SNMP

Is there a way to profile a printer that uses a static IP address by querying the printer via SNMP?  I do not wish to maintain a list of MAC addresses so I am trying to determine the best way to automate profiling printers.  If not SNMP, is there a better way? 

Thanks, --mark

Guru Elite

Re: How to Profile Static Printers with SNMP

Are they wireless or wired?

If they're wireless, you can use the IF-MAP feature of the controller to push profile information.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS%206_3_1_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Management_Utilities/CPPM-ifmap.htm

If they're wired, you can use the subnet scanner feature.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/How-to-configure-subnet-scan-to-profile-static-devices-and-how/ta-p/214829

You can also use the MAC vendor attribute.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor I

Thanks for the quick response cappalli.  In my case, they are wired printers.  I will check out the docs you referenced.

Frequent Contributor I

If I am reading the subnet scanner feature correctly, it appears that it will query devices in the subnet with community string "public".  Is there a way to add a list of strings for snmp to use?  I don't see an option...

Your correct in your observation in that today we only support a single RO community string. We will add support for multiple RO strings in our next CPPM s/w release (6.5). This will enter a beta program soon with planned FCS for end of Feb 2015.

Best Regards
-d

Snr Tech Marketing Engineer - ClearPass

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: