Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

How to auto fill a field when creating an Guest account

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  How to auto fill a field when creating an Guest account

Posted Feb 04, 2015 08:11 AM

Hi Experts,

Assuming under one big company, a few departments are sharing the same ClearPass server for Guest. Each department has its own operators. All operator accounts have a field called 'department', this allows operator only see accounts under its own department.

So when an operator creates a guest account, I enable the 'department' filed on the create user page. How do I pre-fill this field with value from the operator's department value? It will be annoying if the operator has to fill it manually every time.

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 12.07.57 am.png

Note: the field 'department' is important. Each department might have it's own network. So guest accounts under 'department 1' are allow to use wireless network in 'department 1' only.

Thanks,

Patrick

• 2.  RE: How to auto fill a field when creating an Guest account

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2015 08:17 AM
    In your guest login service in CPPM, return the department name as part of the enforcement actions. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 3.  RE: How to auto fill a field when creating an Guest account

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2015 09:32 AM

Here's an example:

operator-with-dept.PNG

• 4.  RE: How to auto fill a field when creating an Guest account

Posted Feb 04, 2015 05:11 PM

Thanks Tim.

However, this does not work. I followed your suggestion and returned the department attribute when operator logs in. But when creating users, the field 'department' is not pre-filled.

I think when you return an attribute to operator login, you need 'Translation Rules' to translate that attribute. But there is no option letting me translate the returned attribute to anything I want. See below limited options.

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 9.09.38 am.png

Regards,

Patrick

• 5.  RE: How to auto fill a field when creating an Guest account

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2015 07:04 PM

I guess I should have started by asking: What is the source of the department information?

• 6.  RE: How to auto fill a field when creating an Guest account

Posted Feb 04, 2015 07:33 PM

The operator account is stored in Guest DB as well. All operator accounts have a field called 'department'.

When CPPM Service authenticating the operator login, the 'department' can be pulled from the Guest DB, and sent via the enforcement. (I followed your suggestion).

So passing the field back when authenticating is not a problem The question is: when operator logs in, how to get the field 'department' passed to the account creation page?

Regards,

Patrick