Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

How to copy a policy for user roles to another user roles

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  How to copy a policy for user roles to another user roles

Posted Jun 11, 2017 05:33 AM
      |   view attached

Dear allfriend and experts,

I have three user roles on as below:

roles 1

roles 2

roles 3

I defined policy for roles 1 ( >80 lines), i dont want to manually defining for roles 2 and role 3 , because all roles have same policy.

Please help me, how to copy policy on roles 1 to other ?, ( ternimal amd GUI ). because i spend alot of time for roles 1, i dont want repeat step on other roles

Thank you so much,

Lee nguyen

• 2.  RE: How to copy a policy for user roles to another user roles

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2017 06:18 AM
    Under Enforcement > Enforcement Profiles, you can copy them which will clone them.

• 3.  RE: How to copy a policy for user roles to another user roles

Posted Jun 12, 2017 11:40 PM

Dear C

• 4.  RE: How to copy a policy for user roles to another user roles

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2017 08:31 AM

You can copy them just like Tcappalli said, and that is the only way to duplicate them.  In practice, however it is best to not have long lists of policies, because it makes troubleshooting difficult.  It is also hard to copy all of those policies back and forth if you need to keep them synchronized.  If you feel you must have alot of rules, you should keep them in as few policies as possible, so that it is easier to copy them between roles...

• 5.  RE: How to copy a policy for user roles to another user roles

Posted Jun 12, 2017 11:43 PM

Dear Colin,

Thank you so much for your advices,

Im trying to copy rule like Tcappalli said, but i can not find this features on my Controller.

Thank you so much

Regards,

Lee Nguyen

• 6.  RE: How to copy a policy for user roles to another user roles

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 13, 2017 01:31 AM

Tcappalli thinks that you are talking about ClearPass.

The only way to Copy Policies to another role is to add them to the new role in the controller.  Since you have alot of policies, it will take a long time to assign the policies to that new role.  If you have more rules in each policy, you will have fewer policies to assign to the new role.

Again, many users have started out by having a long list of policies that they assign to a user, but when it comes time to troubleshoot it becomes very, very difficult.  Whoever created the rules would have to be there every day, just in case a problem occurs, so that they would undo the rule they created.

• 7.  RE: How to copy a policy for user roles to another user roles

Posted Jun 13, 2017 02:22 AM

Hi Colin,

I see, Thank you so much

The new policies was apply to my WLAN netowrk  " Deny any trafific to LAN, and only allow some LAN services such as AD, skype bussiness, tools." So we must defind new rules for user roles.

One more time, 

Thank you so much

Regards,

Lee Nguyen