Security

Occasional Contributor II

How to export ClearPass private key?

HI all,

Can someone tell me if we can redownload the (CSR and the) Private key after generating them in Clearpass?

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Re: How to export ClearPass private key?

Yes, click Export.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Tim,

Thanks you are fast :)

The customer did a CSR and copy and pased the CSR key to issue the certificate with the ca. So the private key where not downloaded and imported in clearpass when doing the CSR. When he tryed to download it from the export button, they get the default private key file (they assume) because  the password did not match when importing.

So this was the question.. other option is to regenerate a new CSR and repeat the process. But, im not sure if the generated private key is stored directly in clearpass.

thanks

New Contributor

Basicaly the question is if you can recover from forgetting to download the Private Key files when generating the CSR.

I copied the content from begin certificate request to end certificate request and used it on the CA's website.

The CA send me a nice certifiate which I'm trying to import. Unfortunatly clearpass is asking for a private key to select which I don't have.

Is there a way to recover? Or do I need to generate a new CSR and purchase a new certificate?

Regards,

Rens

Guru Elite

Couple of things

• The private key is downloaded with the CSR
  • If you do not download the CSR and key, it cannot be redownloaded until the signed certificate is added
  • It is a general best practice to do CSRs and key generation on an external, secure box
  • Most CAs will allow a re-key without charging you again

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
New Contributor

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I'll contact the CA and ask them how to proceed.

Regards,

Rens

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: