Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 802.1x session getting Deny All role without MAC auth being used.

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  IAP 802.1x session getting Deny All role without MAC auth being used.

Posted Aug 30, 2016 09:43 PM

I have a ssid-profile that has no MAC authentication configured, neigher perform before 1x nor fail-thru.  So I would not expect to see a user earn the Deny All role.

Yet I have one that has earnt that role.  And nothing I can seem to do will fix it.  Even if he connects to a different IAP.

I can see on the CPPM server that his auth request is not even coming through.  I have hundreds of other users at the site having no problem.  Just this one user.

This is how my config for the SSID looks.

wlan ssid-profile XXX
     enable
     index 1
     type employee
     essid XXX
     opmode wpa2-aes
     max-authentication-failures 0
     vlan 550
     auth-server XXXAuthServer
     rf-band all
     captive-portal disable
     dtim-period 1
     inactivity-timeout 14400
     broadcast-filter arp
     g-min-tx-rate 11
     dmo-channel-utilization-threshold 90
     local-probe-req-thresh 18
     max-clients-threshold 64
     okc

Anyone have any idea how the user got that role and how to fix it?

• 2.  RE: IAP 802.1x session getting Deny All role without MAC auth being used.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 04:56 AM

We will need the tech support from the IAP to determine what is happening.

• 3.  RE: IAP 802.1x session getting Deny All role without MAC auth being used.

Posted Aug 31, 2016 04:21 PM

Joseph,

I will open a TAC case for that.  Can't share that info in public forum because it is a production customer network.

I was posting more along the lines of finding out HOW a user can earn a Deny All.  I know that if you are using MAC auth you can get that if you fail it.  That is documented.

But there is nothing documented about how a user can earn that if we are not using MAC auth, as is our case.

I am suspecting it is something undocumented.  Perhaps the endpoints 802.1x supplicant is not running and because there is no 1x auth to fail it earns the Deny All.

It just seems so strange that it is not documented anywhere how a user can receive a Deny All role.

• 4.  RE: IAP 802.1x session getting Deny All role without MAC auth being used.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 04:38 PM

802.1x needs to pass before any traffic moves.  If that is not happening, we need to get to the bottom of that

• 5.  RE: IAP 802.1x session getting Deny All role without MAC auth being used.

Posted Aug 31, 2016 04:43 PM

Joseph,

I understand this.  But specifically I want to focus on HOW a user can earn a Deny All role!

We know that they can earn it if they fail a MAC auth.

How ELSE can they earn it?  I can't find any other documented reason that they can earn a Deny All role other than the failed MAC auth.

I am not using MAC auth, so that cannot be the reason the user has earnt the role.

What other UNDOCUMTNED reasons can a user earn a Deny All role?

If we have an SSID configured to use 802.1x auth ONLY, and a user does not have a working 802.1x supplicant, what happens to that user?  Will they earn a Deny All role?  If this is true, why is it not documented?

Do you understand where I am coming from?  Ignore my specific problem and focus upon the quesiton at hand.

"What scenarios can result in a user earning a Deny All role?"

• 6.  RE: IAP 802.1x session getting Deny All role without MAC auth being used.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 10:28 PM

I don't know, actually.

• 7.  RE: IAP 802.1x session getting Deny All role without MAC auth being used.

Posted Jan 10, 2017 09:34 AM

I don't find that being an acceptable answer. We might be having the same/similar problem and having the correct answer could help us out.

• 8.  RE: IAP 802.1x session getting Deny All role without MAC auth being used.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 10, 2017 09:59 AM

You are asking how many ways a system can be broken so that the deny all rule is applied.  I honestly don't know.  You can instead, ask "how can I configure something properly".  I can answer that question.