Security

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Implementing Visitor registration like "Koi Baat Nahi"

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Implementing Visitor registration like "Koi Baat Nahi"

Posted Feb 04, 2013 04:35 AM

Hello,

on the Aruba Bad Move/Good Move video "Koi Baat Nahi" from 2011 there was a visitor registration for the reception desk. Of course someone saw this video and now want me to implement it just like that. Of course - it's not that easy ;)

The part that stopped me is what seems to be automatic background print. As far as I know thats not possible from a webpage, which leaves some print-dialoge to occur. Not really ideal for a visitor registration system like that.

Anyone tried this and can point me in the right direction? Would be a great help to atleast get the most seemless registration possible from this PC.

And second thing about this - is the Sponsor Lookup.

When editing and testing the LDAP server I have the option to do Wildcard lookup when testing. So far I've not found a way to do wildcard lookup during the self-registration. That means the guest have to input the sponsorname exactly as listed in AD CommonName, and that can't be as intended. I'm sure it's possible, but I need some help figuring that out. Anyone?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Implementing Visitor registration like "Koi Baat Nahi"

Posted Feb 12, 2013 03:51 AM

*bump*

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? If not the auto-print, then perhaps the wildcard lookup part for sponsor names?

• 3.  RE: Implementing Visitor registration like "Koi Baat Nahi"

Posted May 15, 2013 07:28 PM

jsolb,

Any luck on these tasks? I am looking for what others have done to suppress the print dialogue for our front lobby kiosk. I have started to venture down the road of testing Chrome's "kiosk" option as well. Anyone out there willing to share your experiences?

Thanks,

Justin

• 4.  RE: Implementing Visitor registration like "Koi Baat Nahi"

Posted May 21, 2013 05:00 PM

Hi Justin

I've later found out that Aruba used some custom made software to suppress the print dialog. Thats nifty, but not something I can eaily reproduce.

So I added javscript to do autoprint with a redirect back to the registration page, and then tried the various kiosk modes available in the different browsers.

In Chrome I was able to get it working, but it wasn't as stable as I'd like it to be. I always had to do the print dialogue manually once first, and then the rest would be completely automatic. So this is definately viable, but not optimal.

In IE I tried some vb and javascripts that triggered an activeX component, but that didn't work at all.

Then for FireFox I added the mKiosk addon, and that did the trick for me so atleast for the auto-print that part is solved. It does open a new window to trigger the printing, then closes it and redirects back to the startpage after a few seconds..

I still don't approve that the guest will have to input the correct email address or the exact CN of the sponsor to get a correct AD lookup. That's miles behind any other normal visitor registration system I know of...

The setup...

First I had to find a way to clear all the input fields. Even with disabling the "save value" thing in both the browser and in the field setup the form always remembered the previous values after my redirect..

So I had to reset it through a script in the footer of the registration page:

<script type="text/javascript">
    {literal}
    var elements = document.getElementsByTagName("input");
    for (var ii = 0; ii < elements.length; ii++) {
    if (elements[ii].type != "submit" && elements[ii].type != "hidden") {

if (elements[ii].type == "checkbox") {
    elements[ii].checked = false;
    }
    else
    {
    elements[ii].value = "";
    }
    }
    }
    {/literal}
    </script>

For auto-printing I added this to my receipt footer:

{literal}

window.onload=function(){
     Nwa_OpenPrintWindow('guest_receipt.php?id=10');
     return false;
    }

setTimeout("window.location='/guest/reception.php'",6000)
    </script>
    {/literal}

The id here corresponds with the id of your Printing Template. You can find the id by hovering over the Edit link below a Print Template..

For the browser I used FireFox with the mKiosk addon.

... and that should be it :)

• 5.  RE: Implementing Visitor registration like "Koi Baat Nahi"

Posted May 24, 2013 01:44 PM

jsolb,

Thanks for your reply and all of the information you have provided!  I wasn't expecting replicating what was performed in the "Koi Baat Nahi" video to be as complicated as it was. I also ran into the same issue with the fields pre-filling after a redirect. Altering the forms and fields settings and changing the browser settings made no difference. Using the javascript you supplied in the receipt page footer was a quick solution. 

{literal}
    var elements = document.getElementsByTagName("input");
    for (var ii = 0; ii < elements.length; ii++) {
    if (elements[ii].type != "submit" && elements[ii].type != "hidden") {

if (elements[ii].type == "checkbox") {
    elements[ii].checked = false;
    }
    else
    {
    elements[ii].value = "";
    }
    }
    }
    {/literal}
    </script>

As for auto-printing, I was able to accomplish the task with both Firefox and Chrome. I found a great listing of the command line switches available for Chrome at: http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/. After some tweaking I was able to get chrome's "--kiosk" and "--kiosk-print" switches to work as expected.

For Firefox, I had to edit the config file by entering about:config and creating a new boolean option as follows (credit goes to Ian Douglas at iandouglas.com):

• Type "about:config" into the location bar and press enter
    • Right-Click anywhere in the list of options and create a new boolean option titled: "print.always_print_silent"
    • Click OK and set the value to "true"

*** Note that this will cause a print to occur automatically anytime a page containing the "window.print()" call is visted. 

Hopefully this thread helps others in accomplishing a kiosk style scenario as depicted in the "Koi Baat Nahi" video. Thanks again for your response jsolb.

Regards,

Justin