Security

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 01:15 PM

Hello,

I have a bunch of IAP-105 Access Points connecting to Clearpass 6.2.5 for authentication/role mapping that has been working well for me.  I'm using Active Directory machine name to authenticate employee machines and it's working but lately I've had to add another role for Contractors.  This role since they don't have an AD PC but they do have an AD Username, I've setup authentication for the user account but the problem is, they can sign into the WIFI from many machines (including mobile devices).  I want to limit them to a single connection, all other attempts get dropped.

I've did some searching and found a couple threads about this same thing but I couldn't get any of the responses to work for me.  Can I get a little help please?  I'm learning Aruba devices on my own so I'm limited to what I know about them.  Here are a couple screenshots of my Service (I know the Roles page looks messy, but it's because we have multiple domains and multiple operating companies in each domain so each operating company has their own groups). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

• 2.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:00 PM

To use active-session-count,  I think you need to make sure you have radius interem accounting setup as well as INSIGHT turned on Clearpass.

• 3.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:02 PM
    Also be aware that turning up interim accounting for all your networks can
    increase load on ClearPass.

• 4.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:09 PM

I have the checkbox for "Enable Insight on this server" checked and also have "Log Accounting
    Interim-Update Packets
    " set to True.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:11 PM

In the Live_Monitoring>Accounting page do you see accounting records?  I ask because there are also settings on the controller itself that would need to be enabled to make Interim Accounitng work.  

• 6.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:13 PM

No, there is no records being produced.

These APs are the Instant APs which have the controller built in. 

I'm not using a stand alone controller as I was told I didn't need one.

Is there somewhere on the IAP-105s I have to turn accounting on then?

• 7.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:23 PM

Ok, so I found where to turn accounting on and it's now logging to the Accounting page...but I'm still able to sign into multiple devices with the same user account.

• 8.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:23 PM
    (INSTANT-VC1)(SSID Profile secure1)# radius-accounting
    (INSTANT-VC1)(SSID Profile secure1)# radius-accounting-mode {user-authentication| user
    association}
    (INSTANT-VC1)(SSID Profile secure1)# radius-interim-accounting-interval <minutes>

• 9.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 03:02 PM

@cappalli wrote:
    (INSTANT-VC1)(SSID Profile secure1)# radius-accounting
    (INSTANT-VC1)(SSID Profile secure1)# radius-accounting-mode {user-authentication| user
    association}
    (INSTANT-VC1)(SSID Profile secure1)# radius-interim-accounting-interval <minutes>

When looking at my WIFI Profile in the CLI, I see I'm missing the "radius-accounting-mode".  What should I be using, user-authentication or user-association?

• 10.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2014 03:51 PM
    Authentication

Sent from Windows Mail

• 11.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:31 PM

I do not have  a ton of XP on IAPs but from the command line you should be able to 

wlan ssid-profile <profile-name>  

radius-accounting enable

radius-interim-accounting-interval 10 

set the accounting interval to whatever minutes you need the user to check in at, careful because to many re-auths can really put load on your Clearpass box

• 12.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:36 PM

In order to de-auth a user after authentication, I believe you must have RFC3576 server configured.  This is a setting on the IAP as well as under Network>Devices>  Enable RADIUS CoA on the Clearpass box

• 13.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:46 PM

I have RFC3576 active on both the IAP and Clearpass/Radius server.

I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing or have in the wrong spot but I can still connect two devices.

• 14.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 04:15 PM

How does the de-auth work?  I have all the settings that have been mentioned in this post done and there are still mutliple connections from the same user.

• 15.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2014 05:12 PM

Are you able to manually disconnect a device? Please try this: Connect with your device, then go to Access Tracker and find the latest authentication request and open it. Click the "Change Status" button at the bottom, make sure it says Aruba Terminate Session. It should tell you if the action was successful.

change-status.png

coa-type.png

• 16.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 20, 2014 08:04 AM

Radius [Aruba Terminate Session] successful for client 94ebcd19ecb9

So it seems that works.  It disconnected my BB10 device and then the device reconnected instantly while my Android device was already connected.

• 17.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 28, 2014 12:46 PM

Hi all, just to update this thread, I was working with the OP and we finally got this working.

We set up the policy & profile as follows, and are now able to connect with one device only, using username / password auth.  I think what was missing before was that the Endpoint wasn’t being updated with the AD username, the way it would with Guest authentication.

I’ll try to sum it up here:

Enforcement Policy.png

In the screenshot above, you can see I have two rules in the Enforcement Policy, in this cased based on my UserDN (just to ensure the rule hits during testing.  Obviously for the customer, the rule condition will be based on TIPS:Role or something other than a static UserDN).  The first rule is where we check the Unique-Device-Count.  More than 1 device gets the Deny Access profile.

The next rule is where we set the user role, and update the endpoint.  Rather than setting it known, or trying to cache the MAC address, the “Update Endpoint” profile simply adds the AD username to the endpoint.

The profiles look like this:

Wireless Trust Profile.png

Update Endpoint Profile.png

I tested this with various devices, and it always works.  The first device authenticates properly, and the next one is rejected like this:

access tracker.png

Hope this helps someone else!

• 18.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Mar 05, 2014 04:49 AM

Hi mpoulin.

Thanks for your post.

I tried to repeat your configuration for accounts from Clearpass guest and accounts from AD.
    But I connect multiple devices and the rule does not match and the connection is not denyed.

(Authorization:[Endpoints Repository]:Unique-Device-Count  GREATER_THAN  1) [Deny Access Profile] 
    Advise please where can be my mistake?

• 19.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Mar 06, 2014 02:33 PM

• 20.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Mar 07, 2014 04:06 AM

thank you
    in this was my mistake)

• 21.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Feb 19, 2014 07:22 PM
    I'll check first thing tomorrow morning, I've already gone home and there aren't any live connections I can "test" with lol

• 22.  RE: Limit number of connections per AD user for specific Role

Posted Mar 14, 2022 11:17 AM
    Hi 

I tested this config and it works.

But are the endpoint counters cleared automatically somehow ata the ende of the day or when the user disconnectes one device?

Regards

------------------------------
    Bruno Costa
    ------------------------------