Security

Occasional Contributor II

MAC auth caching credentials on AP-93H

For reference this follows the progression from Radius assigned VLAN on AP-93H wired ports

When using a radius server to handle MAC authentication requests for clients on the wired ports of the AP-93H the clients MAC address isn't passed to the radius server each time they connect their ethernet cable.

Tests I've done:

Test 1:

• Set VLAN for computer in radius server
  • plug computer in and get IP address
  • change VLAN for computer in radius server
  • unplug computer and plug back in (waiting 5 seconds in between)
  • This works correctly provided I don't do anything else on the computer other than get an IP address

Test 2:

• surf the internet for > 60 seconds
  • unplug computer and plug back in (waiting 5 seconds in between)
  • computer still gets previous VLAN and IP

Test 3:

• surf the internet for > 60 seconds
  • unplug for an extended period of time or just wait for a while and then wait longer
  • computer gets moved to new vlan

The issue:

We use MAC based registration to map users to computers so when a user plugs in and the radius server doesn't recognize them it drops them on a VLAN which is only for registration.  After the user goes through the web based registration they reboot their computer and get put on a valid VLAN.  This works on all our Procuve switches as they don't cache logins and only need a brief < 1 second of the network card being off to cause the port to go back into authentication mode.

Guru Elite

Re: MAC auth caching credentials on AP-93H

Please use the "show auth-tracebuf" command when the client is plugged in to see the exact radius traffic going back and forth.

In addition, you can also remove the user from the user-table with the "aaa user delete mac <mac address>" command before plugging it back into the AP to clear any sessions.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

I've been watching my radius server in debug mode to see what communication is going on.  I've had a laptop plugged in for a while now and doing a

show auth-tracebuf mac d8:d3:85:0a:1a:0c

displays nothing as does 

show auth-tracebuf | include d8:d3:85:0a:1a:0c

Even after unplugging the laptop and plugging it back in.

Doing a "show log all | include d8:d3:85:0a:1a:0c"gives me lots of lines with the following

Jul 12 14:16:11  authmgr[1623]: <522035> <INFO> |authmgr|  MAC=d8:d3:85:0a:1a:0c Station UP: BSSID=01:80:c2:00:00:03 ESSID=n/a VLAN=13 AP-name=AP93HTest

But if I plug in a new device the above commands all show information.

I don't seem to have an "aaa user delete" command under configure terminal, is it located elsewhere?

Guru Elite

you should be in exec mode (#) to "use aaa user delete"

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

ncuit wrote:

I've been watching my radius server in debug mode to see what communication is going on.  I've had a laptop plugged in for a while now and doing a

show auth-tracebuf mac d8:d3:85:0a:1a:0c

displays nothing as does 

show auth-tracebuf | include d8:d3:85:0a:1a:0c

Even after unplugging the laptop and plugging it back in.

Doing a "show log all | include d8:d3:85:0a:1a:0c"gives me lots of lines with the following

Jul 12 14:16:11  authmgr[1623]: <522035> <INFO> |authmgr|  MAC=d8:d3:85:0a:1a:0c Station UP: BSSID=01:80:c2:00:00:03 ESSID=n/a VLAN=13 AP-name=AP93HTest

But if I plug in a new device the above commands all show information.

I don't seem to have an "aaa user delete" command under configure terminal, is it located elsewhere?

Hold on, are you doing 802.1x or are you just doing mac authentication?

If you are just doing mac authentication,  you cannot switch the VLAN of a wired client through mac authentication.  That is because the client, as soon as the interface comes up, sends a DHCP request on the primary VLAN before the mac authentication fires and switches the VLAN.  Even if the VLAN is switched internally, the client's link would have to go down, then up to request DHCP again, to switch VLANs.

This would only be possible with wired 802.1x

Colin Joseph

I'm doing MAC-auth and DHCP requests are working fine. 

I'm also doing a release/renew of my DHCP just in case. 

Sure the first DHCP request might fall on deaf ears, but the second request should follow a few seconds after, so far in my tests however it appears that the first DHCP request is getting responded to correctly.

Guru Elite

Allright. 

If a wired device is still in the user table, no mac authentication will be performed again even if you unplug it then plug it in again.

You need to use the aaa user delete or "disconnect" to remove it.

Colin Joseph

I did try aaa user delete and that worked, but there is no way I'm going to do that for every student that wants to use a wired port.

Any other ideas or do I just tell users to register and then unplug for a few hours and then try again?

Yes I know, 802.1X is the ultimate solution for this, unfortunately Xbox, PS3, Wii, AppleTV....don't have 802.1X supplicants.

Guru Elite

ncuit wrote:

I did try aaa user delete and that worked, but there is no way I'm going to do that for every student that wants to use a wired port.

Any other ideas or do I just tell users to register and then unplug for a few hours and then try again?

Yes I know, 802.1X is the ultimate solution for this, unfortunately Xbox, PS3, Wii, AppleTV....don't have 802.1X supplicants.

I mentioned wired 802.1x because it works with regards to wired VLAN switching.  With your current setup If the user unplugs for 6 minutes, they should be removed from the table and it will work in that situation, and that might be acceptable to you.

I do not know the entire scope of what you want to do, so I can only advise you about this issue.  I know that you should have as many devices connected wirelessly as possible and leave wired for the incapable devices, because wireless is much more flexibile.  if you are forced to do wired stuff, make the default VLAN the VLAN that non-intelligent devices would end up in and then save the wired 802.1x switching for clients that can support it.

Colin Joseph

I'm not sure I can get people to actually wait 6 minutes, and I'm guessing there isn't a way to lower that wait time and even if there were it's probably a really bad idea.

Thanks for the help, I'll see what I can come up with from here.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: