Security

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Master controller leases

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Master controller leases

Posted Oct 05, 2015 05:10 AM

Hello, we have 2 controllers - master and local. We provide DHCP to our guest wifi via the controllers.

We have a 24 bit subnet on both controllers providing 252 leases on each. I've spread the AP's between the two controllers but our master lease VLAN range is always running out whilst we always have plenty left on the local lease - is there something i can change to balance this ?

Secondly, where do i go to change the lease times ? Its currently at 2 hours but id like to change to 60 mins

Many Thanks

• 2.  RE: Master controller leases

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2015 06:11 AM

You should use an external DHCP server to avoid that issue entirely.  There is not a way to control which controller gives out more leases.

• 3.  RE: Master controller leases

Posted Oct 05, 2015 06:16 AM

if i change the subnets to 16 bit - would that kill the controllers ?

Is there a limit on how many leases are allowed ?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Master controller leases

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2015 06:21 AM

Controller platform lease limits are here   http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Maximum-DHCP-limitations-in-new-Release-Notes/m-p/25752/highlight/true#M7016

You should get an error if you configure a lease larger than those numbers.

• 5.  RE: Master controller leases

Posted Oct 08, 2015 05:56 AM

Hello, i was looking to change the subnet on out guest network from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0 to allow up to 510 leases from teh current 254.

Is it as simple as chaging under Network - IP - DHCP ?

Does the controller need a reboot afterwards ?

• 6.  RE: Master controller leases

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2015 06:54 AM

You would need to change the subnet mask on the controller's interface on that VLAN, in addition to the DHCP scope.  You will not need to reboot if it is not the controller's management IP address.

• 7.  RE: Master controller leases

Posted Oct 08, 2015 07:04 AM

Thank you.

Also, what is the command for changing lease times ?

• 8.  RE: Master controller leases