Security

drn
Occasional Contributor II

Master controller leases

Hello, we have 2 controllers - master and local. We provide DHCP to our guest wifi via the controllers.

We have a 24 bit subnet on both controllers providing 252 leases on each. I've spread the AP's between the two controllers but our master lease VLAN range is always running out whilst we always have plenty left on the local lease - is there something i can change to balance this ?

Secondly, where do i go to change the lease times ? Its currently at 2 hours but id like to change to 60 mins

Many Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: Master controller leases

You should use an external DHCP server to avoid that issue entirely.  There is not a way to control which controller gives out more leases.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

drn

if i change the subnets to 16 bit - would that kill the controllers ?

Is there a limit on how many leases are allowed ?

Thanks

Guru Elite

Controller platform lease limits are here   http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Maximum-DHCP-limitations-in-new-Release-Notes/m-p/25752/highlight/true#M7016

You should get an error if you configure a lease larger than those numbers.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

drn

Hello, i was looking to change the subnet on out guest network from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0 to allow up to 510 leases from teh current 254.

Is it as simple as chaging under Network - IP - DHCP ?

Does the controller need a reboot afterwards ?

Guru Elite

You would need to change the subnet mask on the controller's interface on that VLAN, in addition to the DHCP scope.  You will not need to reboot if it is not the controller's management IP address.

Colin Joseph

drn

Thank you.

Also, what is the command for changing lease times ?

Guru Elite

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/ip_dhcp_pool.htm

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: