Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2012 09:03 PM

I did a CSR for my master controller and installed the certificate with the name wireless.xxx.yyy.edu. This is the name I would like to use as the URL for the captive portal redirect. How can I export the certificate with private key from the master to add to the local controllers?

• 2.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2012 06:33 AM

You have to generate a CSR for each controller, just like you would for each server in the real world....

• 3.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2012 10:22 AM

So I assume a second certificate with the same DNS name on a different controller wouldn't interfere? We'd like it to be lyndonwireless.xxx.yyy.zzz for all controllers.

• 4.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2012 08:58 PM

My advice would be that you NOT generate the CSR on the controller, because we specifically make it very difficult (if not impossible) to get the private key off the controller.  If you want to use the same certificate on multiple controllers, I would suggest following this workflow:

1. Find a Unix box with OpenSSL on it

2. Generate the private key

3. Generate the CSR, using your desired hostname as the CN

4. Get the certificate from the CA

5. Put the certificate and private key back together as a PFX / PKCS#12 file, which will be password protected

6. Load the resulting file on all your controllers

There are lots of resources online to tell you how to do these common OpenSSL operations.  The one I typically refer to is here:  http://www.sslshopper.com/article-most-common-openssl-commands.html.  I'll cut and paste the important bits:

• Generate a new private key and Certificate Signing Request
      openssl req -out CSR.csr -new -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout privateKey.key

• Convert a PEM certificate file and a private key to PKCS#12 (.pfx .p12)

openssl pkcs12 -export -out certificate.pfx -inkey privateKey.key -in certificate.crt -certfile CACert.crt

• 5.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

Posted Aug 28, 2014 04:33 AM

Anyone know how to export and decrypt the private key?

I'm unable to use Green's adviced solution as I have to generate the CSR on the Aruba RAP itself, and need to store the Certificates on USB Flash Drives.

Would appreciate if someone with the knowledge could share the steps needed to get this done.

• 6.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2014 04:53 AM
    There are a lot of third party websites that you can use to do the csr. As Jon stated it is not easy to decrypt the pkey.

• 7.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

Posted Aug 28, 2014 05:13 AM

Thanks for your reply Troy, and I'm aware of the possiblity to generate the CSR on either third party websites or with openssl.

And I agree that this would be mutch easier.

My challenge is that this is not an accepted resolution and I need to create the CSR on the Aruba RAP.

I understand it not will be easy to decrypt the private key, but it should be possible. 

• 8.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2014 07:28 AM
    The private key cannot be exported from the controller.

• 9.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

Posted Aug 28, 2014 08:33 AM

Does the same answer also apply to the RAP3?

I have exported the private key trough the "Generate & save support file" function on the Aruba RAP. But the private key is encrypted.

Is there no way to decrypt it?

• 10.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2014 08:37 AM
    No you can't decrypt it by design. It uses the TPM module.

• 11.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

Posted Feb 01, 2018 09:32 AM

I have a question. 

if the controller on which, I had the certificate is dead. 

I get the new controller. I have the flashbackup from the old controller. 

I can just restore the flashbackup, and get the certificates on the new controller correct? 

I had the certificate in the flashbackup in the path

flashbackup1.tar\flash\certmgr\ServerCert\

Can i just take this server certificate and upload it on the new controller?

I was trying to do it, and it worked. I am not sure..if this is right way to  do..

However, I was not able to upload this same server cert(taken from the flashbackup) for captive-portal to IAP,  I dont know why.. I had the messge.. 

err.png

I just compared and checked the server cert from flashbackup, and the actual certificate. The private key was not the same. I wish to understand why?

• 12.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

Posted Jul 13, 2012 08:56 PM
    I've tried this and I am receiving an error when trying to upload the cert in the controller. Its telling me that it is an invalid format.

Is this correct? (-in certificate.crt = server cert received from CA. -certfile CACert.crt = root cert)

Thanks in advance.

• 13.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

Posted Aug 04, 2012 12:36 AM

I am gettign this same error.

Anyone have an update?

• 14.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 05, 2012 11:47 PM

Please contact support if you need to get this done sooner, rather than later..

• 15.  RE: Multi-controller captive portal SSL certificate

Posted Sep 07, 2012 12:31 AM

Support was very helpful with this resolution.  Once you get the cert from the CA don't do the last step.  Get the intermediate and merge them together putting the intermediate above the server cert in the same file.

Similar to this:

-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
    MIIEvgIBADANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAASCBKgwggSkAgEAAoIBAQC3bNP/cwKFtPzp
    8POlTne123asSgV4tn97zzScVoyhrEsPz7SggL3B40RFb/sMsGbJnDIYer+ZuzxV

-----END PRIVATE KEY-----
    -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    MIIFJTCCBA2gAwIBAgIETB2bFzANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFADCBsTELMAkGA1UE
    BhMCVVMxFjAUBgNVBAoTDUVudHJ1c3QsIEluYy4xOTA3BgNVBAsTMHd3dy5l

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

Save the file and you should be able to upload it without any issues.  Worked for me and now have this same cert on 3 controllers and adding it to more.