Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

NPS, Instant and multiple dot 1x networks

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  NPS, Instant and multiple dot 1x networks

Posted Aug 16, 2015 11:00 AM

Hello All,

I have an Instant network setup and the client would like two different dot 1x networks to authenticate to the same NPS server.  The two networks should provide authorization based upon group membership.  One WLAN is for admins, it should filter based upon the domain admins group and be unrestricted.  The other WLAN will be for other employees, it should filter upon the domain users group and have some restrictions applied.  I have created both networks in the Instant cluster, applied application firewall rules and I have created two differenet network policies in NPS where I have set the conditions based upon the applicable windows groups.  Authentication works fine, my problem is with authorization.  With the way NPS works, any user can connect to either network, as if one network policy fails it will try the next.  In the security logs I see user authentications hitting my different policies so that piece of the design is working as intended.  I need, or rather, is there a way to, stop it and somehow let one WLAN use one and only one network policy in NPS so it fails and doesn't try subsequent policies (particularly applicable for the admin network)?  I've done this with ClearPass for other clients without issue, but for this client they didn't want to spend the $$$ on CPPM (it's a 6 IAP-205 shop, pretty small) and decided on NPS instead.  I'm just not sure if I can do this on Instant without a second NPS server.  I will also at this point freely admit that my NPS knowledge is enough to get by, but I'm not an expert by any means.  Thanks for the long read.  Any help appreciated.

• 2.  RE: NPS, Instant and multiple dot 1x networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2015 11:03 AM
    Why not use the same SSID and return different roles/vlans for admins vs regular users? Two SSIDs really isn't necessary and just adds complexity.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: NPS, Instant and multiple dot 1x networks

Posted Aug 16, 2015 11:14 AM

Thank Tim. Shows you how much I know about NPS. I didn’t know that you could pass back vlan and roles from NPS to an Instant cluster. ClearPass, sure… but in NPS? I don’t know how to do that, but I can get my google-fu going.

• 4.  RE: NPS, Instant and multiple dot 1x networks
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2015 11:22 AM
    You'll just have to add the Aruba VSAs to NPS. Search NPS VSA on here.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: NPS, Instant and multiple dot 1x networks

Posted Aug 16, 2015 05:28 PM

I did some research and ended up using the standard RADIUS attribute of filter-id.  This works perfectly.  Is there an advantage or is one considered best practice over another (Aruva VSA vs standard RADIUS attributes)?

• 6.  RE: NPS, Instant and multiple dot 1x networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2015 05:34 PM
    No best practice. The Aruba VSA is just less work to set up on the Instant side.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 7.  RE: NPS, Instant and multiple dot 1x networks

Posted Aug 16, 2015 05:37 PM

Good to know.  Kinda funny, I didn't think the Instant side was too much to config.  Either way, thanks for the help Tim.