Security

last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

Posted Mar 29, 2017 10:42 AM

Hi,

my goal is to store information in Active Directory OU attributes and using those informations in CPPM role mappings for user or computer authorization. I know it's possible to add attributes by modifing the authentication source for user and computer attributes. But there is no ldapfilter to query an objects parent OU. To obtain those attributes of the parent OU of an user or computer object i didn't find an easy solution.

Best Regards

• 2.  RE: Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 10:57 AM

A user or computer's OU will be present in the UserDN attribute (default). You can use ENDS_WITH or CONTAINS operators with that attribute.

• 3.  RE: Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

Posted Mar 29, 2017 11:08 AM

Thank you for your reply Tim, but i am interessted in comparing or using informations stored in those OU attributes (not only the name) for later use in profiles. A solution would be:

- Extracting the OU UserDN with an dummy SQL SUBSELECT regex

- Store it as endpoint attribute

- Modifing the authentication source for checking the endpoints OU attributes by using an ldap filter which returns the OU attribute

Is there anything easier than this?

• 4.  RE: Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 11:51 AM
    What attributes would be stored “in” an OU? I’m confused. Please provide examples.

• 5.  RE: Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

Posted Mar 29, 2017 01:15 PM

So an example would be storing a VLAN-ID in one of the OUs and use this information in an enforcement profile. I know this could also be done easily with group membership or separate rules checking if UserDN ends with 'OU=...,OU=...DC=..' for each role / VLAN-profile.

One of my customer would like to segement his clients in 50 or more VLANs, and the OUs will change very likely over time. With such an solution maintaining the network segemention would be an easy task for an average AD administrator without touching CPPM.

• 6.  RE: Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 01:19 PM
    But my question is how are you storing a VLAN ID in an OU? That’s not a direct function of an OU.

• 7.  RE: Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

Posted Mar 29, 2017 01:59 PM

Lync.jpeg

• 8.  RE: Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 02:01 PM
    So you’re adding custom attributes inside AD?

• 9.  RE: Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

Posted Mar 29, 2017 02:08 PM

@cappalli wrote:
    So you’re adding custom attributes inside AD?

yes

• 10.  RE: Obtaining authorization AD attributes about the parent OU of an AD object

Posted Mar 29, 2017 02:05 PM

With ADSI-Edit or simply using the attribute editor with ADUC Snapin:

Lync.jpeg

For extending the schema, see this post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/50b728b8-e706-4800-8b3d-94d11042337b/ad-schema-extension-add-new-attribute-to-an-ou-instead-of-users?forum=winserverDS