Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Onboard Error Message for Windows 8.1 - ClearPass 6.3.1

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Onboard Error Message for Windows 8.1 - ClearPass 6.3.1

Posted Mar 31, 2014 04:11 PM

I was wondering if anybody has seen this issue before :

"There are errors with the server certificate configuration that will prevent devices from provisioning or authenticating:

USCPPS2401: ClearPass RADIUS server certificate lacks id-kp-eapOverLAN extended key usage. This will prevent Windows 8.1 clients from authenticating"

I have changed the setting to automatically validate cert to manually .

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Onboard Error Message for Windows 8.1 - ClearPass 6.3.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 31, 2014 04:20 PM

Victor,

That is because of the new setting that windows added for 8.1. You need to make sure the Cert you have supports id-kp-eapOverLAN. If you sign the radius cert in 6.3 buy onboarding then it will be supported. 

Give me a call if you have more questions.

• 3.  RE: Onboard Error Message for Windows 8.1 - ClearPass 6.3.1
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2014 01:32 AM

**Update***

I spoke with Victor and thought I would share this.....

This is in the help under certificates of you see an error about your webserver/radius cert. on 6.3/6.2.5

The RADIUS server certificate is used by ClearPass to secure authentication traffic. The HTTPS server certificate is used by ClearPass to secure web traffic. They can be configured in Policy Manager under Administration » Certificates » Server Certificate.

The RADIUS server certificate need not be a certificate issued by a trusted commercial certificate authority. However if you are running ClearPass as a cluster, each server in the cluster must use a certificate signed by the same root certificate authority.

To allow Windows 8.1 devices to authenticate successfully this certificate must contain the id-kp-eapOverLAN extended key usage. ClearPass Onboard includes this when creating a "trusted" certificate, this is the recommended method of creating your

RADIUS server certificate(s).

The optimal configuration for Onboard is a HTTPS server certificate issued by a trusted commercial certificate authority. A list of certificate authorities trusted by iOS devices can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5012.

Alternatively if you only wish to use a single Onboard Certificate Authority then you can use that Certificate Authority to sign the server certificate. Users will then have to install the certificate as part of the provisioning process. Refer to the User Guide for more information.

For testing purposes you can disable the requirement for HTTPS on the Authentication configuration page. However this is an insecure configuration that should not be used in a production environment.

screenshot_01 Apr. 01 00.30.gif

• 4.  RE: Onboard Error Message for Windows 8.1 - ClearPass 6.3.1

Posted Jun 07, 2014 09:38 PM

Great answer. The real question though is why a CSR created in Policy Manager does not include this attribute.

• 5.  RE: Onboard Error Message for Windows 8.1 - ClearPass 6.3.1

Posted Jul 30, 2014 09:08 AM

CSR from the ClearPass 6.3.2 will include the EKU “id-kp-eapOverLAN” in the certificate signing request.

Regards,

Riyaz

• 6.  RE: Onboard Error Message for Windows 8.1 - ClearPass 6.3.1

Posted Mar 18, 2015 04:01 PM

Hi there.

I found this old post as we are having the same issue.

we are currently running ClearPass Policy Manager 6.4.1.67428 on CP-VA-5K platform

We went throught the entire process and created Certificate Signing Request.

We got the certificate back from Digicert, imported it etc ... but still have the error message :

ClearPass RADIUS server certificate lacks id-kp-eapOverLAN extended key usage. This will prevent Windows 8.1 clients from authenticating.

Not sure at the point what we are doing wrong :(

• 7.  RE: Onboard Error Message for Windows 8.1 - ClearPass 6.3.1

Posted Apr 27, 2015 08:18 AM

from what i saw in recent posts is that there is a fix for windows 8.1 that make it work even without that option enabled. so you shouldn't worry about it if your windows 8.1 clients get their updates.