Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Onboard connection to BYOD SSID fails after provisioning in GUEST SSID

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Onboard connection to BYOD SSID fails after provisioning in GUEST SSID

Posted Oct 21, 2015 03:28 AM

Dear all,

We have Clearpass 6.5 and Aruba controller.

We have set up two SSID for Onboard provisioning and for BYOD connection.

The clients are provisioned in the GUEST SSID, and then thereafter they should connect on the BYOD SSID. After succesful provisioning all attempts to connect to the BYOD net fails and the tracker alert logs states:

Error Code:  204
    Error Category:  Authentication failure
    Error Message:  Failed to classify request to service
    Alerts for this Request 
    RADIUS Service Categorization failed 

Where do I start troubleshooting?

Has anyone got a similar set up and could share how they got it working?

I have tried to search in the archives, but have not found any posts that could be of help?

Most grateful for your feedback.

Thanks

Peter

• 2.  RE: Onboard connection to BYOD SSID fails after provisioning in GUEST SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2015 03:59 AM
    It means that your 802.1x service is not being triggered. You might not have the correct SSID name in the service or its not created.

• 3.  RE: Onboard connection to BYOD SSID fails after provisioning in GUEST SSID

Posted Oct 21, 2015 04:13 AM

Many thaks for your response.

I have this service created, which I thought would do it??

Name:  OnBoard-BYOD Onboard Provisioning
    Description:  802.1X wireless access service authenticating users prior to device provisioning with Onboard, and after device provisioning is complete
    Type:  Aruba 802.1X Wireless
    Monitor Mode:  Disabled
    More Options:  -
    Service Rule Match ALL of the following conditions:
       Type  Name  Operator  Value 
    1.  Radius:IETF NAS-Port-Type EQUALS Wireless-802.11 (19)
    2.  Radius:IETF Service-Type BELONGS_TO Login-User (1)
    3.  Radius:Aruba Aruba-Essid-Name EXISTS  

Perhaps someone can spot where I am going wrong?

Many thanks!

Peter

• 4.  RE: Onboard connection to BYOD SSID fails after provisioning in GUEST SSID

Posted Oct 21, 2015 09:22 AM

Usually, when I'm getting failed service categorizations, I look at the incoming access tracker record and match my service with what is coming in on the RADIUS request. So for instance if the Login-User attribute is not set (which I suspect is what's happening here), I add an attribute that is set in the RADIUS request to your second 'BELONGS-TO' rule. Also, I always set the ESSID to the actual BYOD SSID name then I can be sure incoming requests on that SSID always hit this rule.

• 5.  RE: Onboard connection to BYOD SSID fails after provisioning in GUEST SSID

Posted Oct 25, 2015 10:33 AM

Thanks for your response Davey,

After followoing your lead, I managed to get the onboard working for iPad client, but WIndows 8.1 client returns following error???

Error Code:  215
    Error Category:  Authentication failure
    Error Message:  TLS session error
     Alerts for this Request 
    RADIUS EAP-PEAP: fatal alert by client - access_denied
    TLS session reuse error

Regards Peter

• 6.  RE: Onboard connection to BYOD SSID fails after provisioning in GUEST SSID

Posted Oct 27, 2015 05:32 AM

It sounds like your Win8.1 device is trying to AuthN using either machine or user creds is not getting past the first step of trusting the server cert being presented to it by CPPM.  Make sure you have the certificate chain of the server cert installed on the Win8.1 device and you are trusting the server cert if prompted to do so after connecting to the SSID.