Security

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

Posted May 24, 2017 12:22 PM

Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

I'm running into an issue with onboarding Android devices. They go through the onboarding process, but when QuickConnect tries to configure their devices they get the error below:

QuickConnect

This application does not have permission to change your existing WiFi-settings.

1. Tap the Wi-Fi Settings button

2. Long press "GOGO" network and tap forget network.

3 Tap the back button to return here

Any ideas? I tried the steps above, but no luck.

• 2.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2017 12:24 PM
    Hm, those steps have always worked on every device I’ve tested.

Best to open a TAC case.

• 3.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

Posted Sep 07, 2017 12:12 AM

any update on this case?

i have same issue after upgrading to 6.6.7.

• 4.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

Posted Nov 24, 2017 08:35 AM

Hi guys

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue at a Customer site running 6.6.5 - so I think this is more of an APP security issue than Clearpass. These had not previously installed QuickConnect and it's on fully updated Samsung Galaxy S7/S8 phones.

• 5.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

Posted Apr 09, 2018 06:42 PM
    I cannot get QC to onboard my device at all. It gets the OP error then when you "forget" the network and go back...the prompt is still there.

From looking at the google reviews, this app is just junk and needs a serious overhaul.
    Windows onboarding works ok, I guess. The application has yet to connect to the ssid after provisioning is complete. I have to manually disconnect and reconnect. I am using the single ssid method.

This rules out using onboarding completely. Very disappointing.

• 6.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2018 07:06 PM
    Single SSID onboarding is not recommended.

• 7.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

Posted Apr 09, 2018 07:11 PM

Is that the answer? Setup dual SSID provisioning and QC will work?

• 8.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2018 07:24 PM
    Yes, the experience is much better. And also much more secure which is the larger point.

• 9.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

Posted Apr 09, 2018 10:15 PM

After setting up the dual SSIDs, the experience is much better. I guess the only way to use QC is with dual SSIDs. In all of my Aruba training up to this point, dual SSIDs are never mentioned to be preferred.

Another thing I noted is that when QC first starts during onboarding it is able to get to the web, bypassing the CP and displaying a page saying I don't have CP setup properly, and thus failing to finish provisioning. Still trying to track that down, as the roles I'm using are generated by the AOS 8.2.1 WLAN wizard. The rules look pretty standard to me. 

What ends up happening is the policy is 'downloaded'. So in my notification bar I open it the policy file. . which launches QC again.

• 10.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2018 10:19 PM
    Single SSID onboard is very insecure and not recommended.

It happens to also improve the Onboard experience for some platforms.

• 11.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

Posted Apr 17, 2018 08:44 AM

I have the same issue. 

I'm using dual SSID with Ruckus wifi... and its working fine for a great number of devices, but for some android devices, its just don't work. 

TAC is working on that, but without any result until now.

I did a lot of procedures recommended by TAC, giving administrative privileges to the application, but none solved the problem. 

• 12.  RE: Onboarding Android devices - Getting App does not have perrmission to change WiFi-Setting

Posted Oct 14, 2018 10:32 PM

I don't think this issue for me was because of single / dual ssid but due to a saved network.

The following steps solved this issue for me.

1. Click on WiFi-Settings

2. Forget the network

3. Go to the "Saved Networks" section , which shows the networks previously saved but not active currently i guess. If there are any entries with the same SSID as the network you are connecting to, forget/delete that.

4. Go back till you reach the clearpass quickconnect page and the prompt should go away and provision your device.

Let me know if there are any confusion with the steps, the steps are for Nokia 6.1 plus (X6) running android 8, but I guess should be similar for most android devices.