Security

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Onguard without bounce / terminate session

This thread has been viewed 55 times
  • 1.  Onguard without bounce / terminate session

Posted Aug 26, 2016 08:04 AM

We're using onguard to check the health of all of our wired devices. In the enforcement profile, we added a terminate session action so the switch is able to apply the new firewall filter. Without that or a bounce, a new firewall filter is not applied.

We want to check the health at least every 12h so we set the policy cache timeout to 12h and onguard session timeout to 11h30. All works well, but..

We have a few thin clients which are connected 24/7. When the Onguard session expires, the health is checked and the session is terminated because of the CoA. That results in a 5sec. network interuption we want to avoid. The session termination in this case is not needed because the enforcement profile remains the same and a new firewall filter is not needed.

A possible solution would be that Clearpass doesn't apply the session termination action when it's a reauthentication and the previous status was healthy. Is there a way to configure something like this please?

• 2.  RE: Onguard without bounce / terminate session
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2016 08:17 AM
    You need to create the following enforcement policies :

- You can leverage using an custom attribute which is added the first time the device provides a healthy posture in onguard enforcement policy.

- Then if the is unhealthy you remove the custom attribute from the device and sends a CoA

- But if the devices stays healthy you use the custom attribute to apply an agent enforcement with no COA Or bounce

Get Outlook for iOS

• 3.  RE: Onguard without bounce / terminate session

Posted Aug 26, 2016 09:00 AM

Great, works already. I figured I had to check if it's an active session as well but this simple method makes that unnecessary.

Thanks for your help!

• 4.  RE: Onguard without bounce / terminate session

Posted Nov 17, 2016 03:21 PM

Victor,

Could you elaborate on this a little more.  I'm experiencing the same issue, it seems odd to me that this would be the expected behaviour.

Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks,

Victor

• 5.  RE: Onguard without bounce / terminate session

Posted Nov 18, 2016 02:47 AM

A CoA is needed to make sure the switch applies a new role. This solution doesn't send a CoA when nothing has to change so there's no interruption. This is what I did:

1. Create a custom attribute named 'Last Health' (Administration --> Dictionaries --> Attributes). Entity: Endpoint / Type: String.
    2. Create a post enforcement profile named 'Mark as Healthy'. Add the attribute created in step 1 with value 'Healthy'.
    3. Create a post enforcement profile named 'Mark as Unhealthy'. Add the attribute created in step 1 with value 'Unhealthy'.
    4. Edit the Onguard enforcement policy with conditions set in this order:

1 When Posture is not Healthy AND Last Health = 'Unhealthy'     -->    No CoA
        2 When Posture is not Healthy                     --> 'Mark as Unhealthy' + CoA
        3 When Posture is Healthy AND Last Health = 'Healthy'         --> No CoA
        4 When Posture is Healthy                     --> 'Mark as Unhealthy' + CoA

• 6.  RE: Onguard without bounce / terminate session

Posted Jul 28, 2017 05:50 PM

Hate to say this but the solution defined in effect does not work as designed. Let me give you an example. My security team requires that we posture on the quaratine network. Once you are deemed healthy then you get on the corporate network, so if we used the logic specified using another attribute to determine the last_health, the user will be stuck on the quarantined network. So, in a sence the best way to do this is not to posture very often. We set the posture to happen every 12 hours cache the results for 24 hours and use the posture cache to determine your health. I did run into one issue with that. I hit the clear cache and the client did not WEBAUTH for 12 hours. So the client could not get healthy. Wish there was a way for administrators to force the client to WEBAUTH from clearpass server. 

• 7.  RE: Onguard without bounce / terminate session

Posted Jul 31, 2017 02:24 AM

I set a session timeout of 5 minutes for quarantained users so they have the chance to get out quickly. Also, remediation is enabled.

In the mean while, I've added a grace period to this configuration. When healthy, the timestamp is written in an attribute. If the scan results in unhealthy and last healthy scan is not older than 72h, the user goes in grace period for 15 minutes with a session timeout of 5 minutes.

• 8.  RE: Onguard without bounce / terminate session

Posted May 05, 2021 11:15 PM
    Hi just starting doing the OnGuard, could you perhaps elaborate on how this will look in the Clearpass GUI?

------------------------------
    Richard Benedict Santero

• 9.  RE: Onguard without bounce / terminate session

Posted May 07, 2021 12:13 PM
    Hello! I was struggling few days ago to give a solution to this, the idea of dekvn helped me alot, see below what I did:

My case: The WLC request re authentication to the Clearpass with aleatorias time (it is a Ruckus WLC, there is no option to configure reauth timer), the cache police has been expired, so the clearpass responded with a limited ACL (the posture was unknown). The onguard agent in the cliente device keeps showing healthy(because for the agent, there is no new auth request (bounce)), but the client was with a limited ACL.

​Solution:

1. Increase the time of policy cache to 6 hours(Administration --> Server Manager  --> Server Configuration --> Cluster-Wide Parameters). Policy result cache timeout).
    This will tell to Clearpass hold the posture token for 6 hours, the token will only change in less than 6 hours if the onguard agent tells it to the Clearpass (e.g.: Machine was healthy, and now is quarantine). 

2. Create an endpoint attributes called 'last-posture' (I'm Brazilian, so is in portuguese 'Ultima Postura') (Administration --> Dictionaries --> Attributes). Entity: Endpoint / Type: String)

3. Create three enforcement profiles (Configuration --> Enforcement --> Profiles). The template is 'ClearPass Entity update enforcement':
    (Post_authentication)

These three enforcement will fill the field created in last step with the last posture

4. Create one enforcement profiles only for Bounce through onguard agent (Configuration --> Enforcement --> Profiles). The template is 'agent enforcement':

I'm assuming that you already had create the health/quarantine enforcement, I'm showing below the agent enforcement that I have

5. Add to healthy enforcement, the option "Health Check Interval" to 4 hours. - The Agent will generate a new log in access tracker every 4 hours.
    Observe that bounce cliente = False. (we will use other enforcement to bounce the client when necessary).

Now all the 'backend magic' is completed, let's see the necessary changes in services now.

6. Change the enforcement of web based service of onguard to use the last posture
    So... if the posture is Healthy and last posture is Healthy -> Do not take action and update the field last-posture to 'healthy' 
    If the posture is Healthy but the last posture IS NOT healthy -> Update the field last-posture to 'healthy' and SEND BOUNCE

If the client still healthy, I don't need to send COA or Bounce to the agent, so the Health Check each 4 hours, is transparent to the client.
    Observe that I never send CoA to the device, all the changes occurs using the OnGuard Agent Bounce feature. 

7. Now is necessary to change the enforcement of 802.1x service, I only need to add the enforcement 'ultima-postura-Unknown' when the posture is 'unknown'
    (Healthy and Quarantine will be updated by the web based onguard service)

And that's it!

Clearpass will hold the token for 6 hours
    Onguard will send info to the Clearpass each 4 hours
    If posture of client still the same, no Bounce/CoA is sent
    If the WLC ask Clearpass for client reauthentication, Clearpass will send the correct ACL based in last-posture 
    If the client went home, and come back after 6 hours, the 802.1x service will mark his token as unknown, forcing a Bounce when the Onguard web based service run.

I hope this helps someone with the same problem!

Bruno Andrade - ACMP, ACSP, ACCP, CWNA, CCNA R&S, RCNA, ICX, SPSX