Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Overall RADIUS Response Time

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Overall RADIUS Response Time

Posted Jan 28, 2015 02:29 PM

Airheads,

I wanted to ask this community about typical results for ClearPass's RADIUS Request Processing time. I have attached an example of what is now typical for me:

Capture.PNG

I have been trying to get this number down as low as I can, because in one of the "frequent disconnect" threads, one user was able to mitigate that problem by reducing the amount of time for RADIUS responses. Last semester I was seeing it more between 1k and 2k, but it still spikes to that at times.

My questions is this: Is between 1000 and 1500 ms a good overall RADIUS response time, and if not, how do I find the culprit. The Monitoring » Live Monitoring » System Monitor screen shows all items under the ClearPass tab as taking between 1 - 2 ms, so where does the extra 500 - 1500ms on this chart come from?

6.4.3.69023 on CP-VA-5K platform

If it's normal, let me know, and I'll rest easy :)

Thanks,

Aaron

• 2.  RE: Overall RADIUS Response Time

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2015 02:49 PM
    What is your auth per/sec? IO rating of San on the vm. HD SAN is usually the issue I see most

• 3.  RE: Overall RADIUS Response Time

Posted Jan 28, 2015 03:40 PM
      |   view attached

Aaron,

Have you checked out the feature in CPPM 6.4 to BREAK-DOWN the RADIUS transaction into its  componend parts......

ClearPass_Policy_Manager_-_Aruba_Networks.jpg

• 4.  RE: Overall RADIUS Response Time

Posted Jan 28, 2015 04:51 PM

The SAN is brand new and quite underutilized, but I can ask them to try it on the measure the IO and IOps.

Here is a screen shot from that END-to-END screen that shows some request counts:

Capture.PNG

Also, Danny, I did get the breakdown numbers from those charts. As I said in my original post, they were all between 1 and 3 ms each, but the total is 500-1500.

Aaron

• 5.  RE: Overall RADIUS Response Time

Posted Apr 02, 2017 11:59 PM

What ever came of this? Was your SAN the source of the elongated request processing time?