Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

This thread has been viewed 67 times
  • 1.  Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

Posted Jul 06, 2017 06:55 PM

Hi experts,

I am trying to join CPPM to an AD domain in my lab. I am using this guide:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/How-to-Add-Clear-Pass-to-Domain/ta-p/187614

I get the following error:

joinaddomain.PNG

The entire text is as shown below:

Join domain failed
    Adding host to AD domain...
    INFO - Fetched REALM 'SUPRA.NET' from domain FQDN 'supra.net'
    INFO - Fetched the NETBIOS name 'SUPRA'
    INFO - Creating domain directories for 'SUPRA'
    Enter Administrador's password:
    kinit succeeded but ads_sasl_spnego_krb5_bind failed: Unspecified GSS
    failure. Minor code may provide more information : Server not found in Kerberos database
    Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: Unspecified GSS
    failure. Minor code may provide more information : Server not found in Kerberos database
    INFO - Restoring smb configuration
    INFO - Restoring krb5 configuration file
    INFO - Deleting domain directories for 'SUPRA'
    ERROR - CPPM-VM failed to join the domain SUPRA.NET with domain
    controller as supra.net
    Join domain failed

Do you understand this error? Could anyone shed some light on this? Please help.

Regards,
    Julián

• 2.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 06, 2017 07:06 PM

Check to ensure the clocks are in sync.

• 3.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2017 04:57 AM

Hi Julian,

It looks issue is due to invalid domain controller FQDN.

Domain controller name provided when attempting to join Clearpass to domain. This should point to a valid FQDN of the domain controller. To verify this if we perform an nslookup form Clearpass (From CLI using 'network nslookup <domain controller>'), this should return the IP address of a domain controller (Note: We should receive the interface IP address of the DC). 

Make sure that Clearpass FQDN is resolvable from the DC. If not, we need to add an entry to the DNS server. 

Regards,

Pavan

If my post addresses your query give kudos:)

• 4.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2017 06:07 AM

Check this video on a working AD join: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Video/Aruba-ClearPass-Workshop-Getting-Started-2-Initial-ClearPass-VM/ta-p/292202

I think 3 things are common issues for domain joins:

1) Not entering the name of a Domain Controller, but the domain name as the FQDN (must be the FQDN of a domain-controller); mentioned by PAVAN

2) Split DNS issues, make sure that ClearPass is configured to query the DNS server on the domain controller (when properly setup with full DNS forwarding, a DNS server that forwards to the domain controller will work as long as all domain DNS records are resolvable)

3) Make sure time is synced (cappalli); to be safe use your domain-controller as NTP timeserver for your ClearPass.

• 5.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

Posted Jul 07, 2017 01:46 PM

Hi Tim, Pavan and Herman,

First of all thank you for your help. I have tried all of your recommendations and also seen the video but it still doesn't work and I get the same error. In order to discard errors I have built my own AD server. I explain the things I have checked:

• ClearPass points to a valid FQDN of the domain controller as said by Pavan. This is the ouput of the command "network nslookup <domain controller>"errorjoinAD.PNG
    • For his recommendation "Make sure that Clearpass FQDN is resolvable from the DC. If not, we need to add an entry to the DNS server." My ClearPass didn't have a configured FQDN, only its IP address and hostname, so I think that wasn't the problem. Anyway and because I didn't know if ClearPass FQDN was mandatory to join AD domain I configured one and added an entry to the DNS server. Then I have confirmed Clearpass FQDN is resolvable from the DC:In CPPMerrorjoinAD2.PNGIn DCerrorjoinAD3.PNG
    • For Herman's recommendation "Split DNS issues, make sure that ClearPass is configured to query the DNS server on the domain controller (when properly setup with full DNS forwarding, a DNS server that forwards to the domain controller will work as long as all domain DNS records are resolvable)". I have only Primary DNS configured in ClearPass which is the DC IP address.
    • I am sure both CPPM and DC are time synced. To be sure I have configured the DC as NTP server for CPPM as said by Tim/Herman.

With all of that, the error still is the same:

errorjoinAD4.PNG

What can I do guys? Thanks again.

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2017 01:57 PM

Make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is enabled on the NIC on the domain controller(s).

• 7.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

Posted Jul 07, 2017 03:21 PM

Hi Tim,

Yes, it is :(

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

Posted Jul 07, 2017 06:53 PM

Hi guys,

I have seen some posts regarding the same issue and even installed a new AD in another lab server but I still get the same error. Any ideas?

Regards,

Julián

• 9.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2017 10:32 PM

Please open a TAC case.

• 10.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 13, 2017 09:54 AM

Hi all,

After opening a TAC case my issue was solved. The solution was very simple and the cause was I didn't enter the full domain controller name in the Domain Controller field but only the domain name. In my case I just enter supra.tro where the full DC is ws2012.supra.tro. After entering this, ClearPass was successfully joined to the AD domain. Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Julián

• 11.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 09:58 AM

Julian,

Good to know it got fixed, In my post I have mentioned to proivde FQDN to relsove this issue, it looks you missed it.

Regards,

Pavan

• 12.  RE: Problem when joining CPPM to AD domain

Posted Jul 13, 2017 10:37 AM

Hi Pavan,

Yes, and I did it using 'network nslookup <domain controller>' but the command didn't provide the full FQDN:

nslookup1.PNG

However, I got the full FQDN using 'network nslookup -q srv <domain controller>':

nslookup2.PNG

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/AAANACGuestAccessBYOD/article-id/607

And with that command I got the full domain controller name :)

Regards,

Julián