Security

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Roaming between APs and DHCP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Roaming between APs and DHCP

Posted Apr 24, 2014 01:34 AM
    OK... I don't have that "won't ask that embarrassing question" problem... Here goes...

I noticed, a while ago in fact, that when I roam my device checks DHCP leases. Is this normal operation?

• 2.  RE: Roaming between APs and DHCP

Posted Apr 24, 2014 09:33 PM
    What kind of device? Checking for a DHCP lease is a client operation. I would be interested to know device type your testing with and does this also happen with other device or just this one.

• 3.  RE: Roaming between APs and DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2014 10:48 PM

@Nik wrote:
    OK... I don't have that "won't ask that embarrassing question" problem... Here goes...

I noticed, a while ago in fact, that when I roam my device checks DHCP leases. Is this normal operation?

Nik,

The answer is "it depends".  There are a number of situations where that would happen.  I don't want to guess what your situation is, so you just might want to tell us...

• 4.  RE: Roaming between APs and DHCP

Posted Apr 27, 2014 02:21 PM

I noticed this with androids. But to be honest this is probably mainly as I carry one around in my pocket. And in actual practice once I have a laptop connected ... It stays on my desk .  I'll run some tests when I am in the office next. 

• 5.  RE: Roaming between APs and DHCP

Posted May 06, 2014 07:29 AM

you sure it was related to roaming, from my experience clients more often then you would expect send DHCP packets, could be just coincidence.

• 6.  RE: Roaming between APs and DHCP

Posted May 06, 2014 07:42 AM

you know what I am pretty sure, but I'll never say never!  :smileyvery-happy: