Security

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

Posted Sep 27, 2012 03:51 AM

Hi,

one of my customers is using a specail prefix in the e-Mail adress: SMS#phonenumber@mailserver.

I can customize a filed to compose the new Phonenumber  sms_vistor_phone = SMS#data.visitor_phone.

The new field can be defined in the plugin manager.

But when trying to send the plugin enforces numbers: "Please provide a valid telephone number for the recipient, in international format"

Any workaround on that?

Thank you,

Johnny

• 2.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2012 02:11 PM

You always want to store the mobile as the mobile.  I assume you created a custom SMTP Carrier pointing to your special domain.  Select 'Always include the country code', and set 'SMS#' as the country code.

Note you can edit the visitor_phone field and adjust its Validator away from NwaSmsIsValidPhoneNumber.  Some places use a regular expression to narrow in their particular countries format.

• 3.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

Posted Sep 27, 2012 03:58 PM

Thank you. As always the solution is much simplier than imagined. :smileyhappy:

• 4.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

Posted Mar 25, 2013 08:36 AM

Little question, how do you do this :

Customize a filed to compose the new Phonenumber  sms_vistor_phone = SMS#data.visitor_phone.

Thanks

Dimitri

• 5.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2013 09:45 AM

What is the scenario you need this?  You can setup a custom carrier and use the keyword NUMBER.  In general everything left of the @ symbol in the carrier is used, but when NUMBER is seen, it is simply swapped with your number.  So a carrier email of "SMS#NUMBER@your.com" would be fine. 

• 6.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

Posted Mar 25, 2013 09:53 AM

What I need is :

2 fields, one with a prefix and one with the phone number. I'd like to merge both field into a new one "Phone number" then to use it for SMS sending.

Thanks

Dimitri

• 7.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2013 10:02 AM

You cannot use extra fields when making the email destination.  Is the prefix anything other than "SMS#"?  The only way to get that is my example above.  Create your own carrier using my example, and you can hard code that as the default carrier.  You do need to be on current releases for some of this.  If you have separate prefixes, then you need a carrier for each, and then tie that to the users via visitor_carrier. 

• 8.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

Posted Mar 25, 2013 10:18 AM

It's a different of the original problem : so I use a SMS gateway, username is a phone number but without the prefix.

What I would like to do is to give the possibilty to choose the prefix and then the SMS is sent to a phone number that is prefix+username.

So I was looking to merge fields or past values from field to field.

• 9.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2013 10:39 AM

You cannot mix fields, no.  The best you can do is to setup multiple visitor_carriers with the known prefixes, and then tie each user to that carrier.

• 10.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

Posted Mar 25, 2013 10:42 AM

Ok thanks. Can you give me more details how to do it ?

• 11.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2013 03:08 PM

Got to the SMTP Carriers list within Guest then create and enable a carrier for each known prefix.  If your prefixes were SMS#, SMS1#, and SMS2# then you would have SMS Templates:

Then add visitor_carrier to the various forms relevant to your deployment (create_user, guest_edit, guest_multi).  You can use Edit Accounts to then bulk update existing accounts.

Out of curiousity, what do the different prefixes mean to your gateway?  We have only ever seen a single prefix used that was meant simply to detect any/all things destined to an SMS.

• 12.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

Posted Mar 26, 2013 03:01 AM

About prefixes, I am not sure that we are talking about the same thing. In my case, it's the country code.

• 13.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2013 10:58 AM

Well I guess there was confusion then.  Your example was "sms_vistor_phone = SMS#data.visitor_phone".  We have customers with that exact example.  Their email gateway looks for anything starting with the prefix and assuems the rest is the actual destination.  The country code is entirely different as that really needs to be asked as part of the phone number.  For all the built in SMS gateways, you must include the country code outright in the number.

• 14.  RE: SMS over SMTP with e-mail Prefix

Posted Mar 27, 2013 03:07 AM

Ok thanks.

Dimitri