Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading ClearPass from 6.36 to 6.5 Best Practices

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Upgrading ClearPass from 6.36 to 6.5 Best Practices

Posted May 11, 2015 04:13 PM

We are upgrading ClearPass from 6.3.6 to 6.5.0. I have downloaded release notes for 6.5 and 6.4.5 and have reviewed.  I am looking for feedback on best practices, tips, and potential hazards...

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass from 6.36 to 6.5 Best Practices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2015 04:16 PM
    If they're VMs, be sure to follow the new resource requirements.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass from 6.36 to 6.5 Best Practices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2015 04:17 PM
    1. Backup your configuration and download it to your local computer
    2. Download the server certificates to your local computer
    3. Upgrade to 6.5.0
    4. Upgrade to 6.5.1

Keep in mind that the log database will not be restored during the upgrade to 6.5. You can restore it afterwards if you want the old access tracker information.

How many nodes are you upgrading? Make sure you wait until you see the upgrade complete notification in event viewer on the publisher before proceeding to upgrade the subscriber(s).

• 4.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass from 6.36 to 6.5 Best Practices

Posted May 13, 2015 10:26 AM

Zach

We are upgrading 1 publisher and 8 subscribers.  I suspect we will be going to 5.0 only however what is the benefit of pushing to 5.1?  Have you ever used the cluster upgrade tool and if so were there any hangups?   What was the overall time it took to upgrade per device.

Alos along with this we will be deploying the leap secon patch.

• 5.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass from 6.36 to 6.5 Best Practices
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2015 12:08 PM

That is large enough that I would definitely use the Cluster Upgrade tool.

6.5.0 is a .0 release. I recommend going to 6.5.1. There are bugs that were fixed in 6.5.1. I recommend you read the release notes prior to upgrading to ANY version.

• 6.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass from 6.36 to 6.5 Best Practices

Posted May 11, 2015 04:18 PM

In addition, you may consider using the Cluster Upgrade Tool to help you through the process.  You can then upgrade to 6.5.1 when complete.

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=16803

• 7.  RE: Upgrading ClearPass from 6.36 to 6.5 Best Practices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2015 04:23 PM

I would only explore the Cluster Upgrade Tool if you have a large cluster to upgrade.