Security

Regular Contributor I

When is the data port mandatory in CPPM?

Hello experts,

CPPM has the management port and data port. Management port is used for administration and data port for processing user authentication traffic. However, the configuration of the data port is optional and if not configured, the management port is used for both administration and processing user authentication traffic.

Herman Robers also says " I tend to avoid dual interface whenever possible." in the following post:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Security/SMTP-Error-quot-Must-issue-a-STARTTLS-command-first-quot-in/td-p/301807

Then, when is the data port mandatory in CPPM? It seems more complicated when configuring both ports since more problems may appear. Or is there any advantage of using the data port?

Regards,

Julián

Guru Elite

Re: When is the data port mandatory in CPPM?

It is never mandatory.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Regular Contributor I

Well, I know it is not mandatory, maybe my (first) question was not clear. I mean, why or when would I opt for using the data port? Is there any advantage of using it?

Regards,

Julián

Guru Elite

Some customers use it to straddle multiple networks to provide different services. In most cases, just the management interface is fine. Using both adds unnecessary complexity for most deployments.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Regular Contributor I

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Regards,

Julián

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: