Security

Frequent Contributor I

Windows wireless GPO policy with User re-authentication as authentication mode

I came across this today at a client site and it baffled me. I have not seen this option before when creating a wireless policy in Group Policy. 

Win2008R2-wifiGPOabnormal.jpg

The only options this policy allowed me was; 

• User re-authentication (I am not familiar with this option)
  • User authentication
  • Computer authentication

What I am used to seeing is this; 

Win2008R2-wifiGPOnormal.jpg

The options I am used to seeing are; 

• User or Computer Authentication
  • Computer Authentication
  • User Authentication
  • Guest Authentication

Can anyone point out why the differences between two Windows 2008 R2 servers? 

I have been using "User or Computer Authentication" in the past and it has worked. Without that option will user auth fail if I choose only computer auth?

Michael McNamee
Sr. Network Engineer - SecurEdge Networks
ACMP / ACDX / AWMP

http://www.securedgenetworks.com/secure-edge-networks-blog/
MVP

Re: Windows wireless GPO policy with User re-authentication as authentication mode

are the settings under Protected EAP (PEAP) the same? might be there is a difference there which causes different options.

Frequent Contributor I

Re: Windows wireless GPO policy with User re-authentication as authentication mode

[ Edited ]

I was under the impression that user "re-authentication" is the same as user or computer auth.  It should auth as the computer at the logon screen, and then re-auth as the user on login.

I have seen this in some MS documentation as well (the images/terminology) yet I have not been able to see it in my GPO settings (win2008 R2/win7,etc...)

EDIT: on second thought I bet this has to do with AD levels - we have a win2003 server still in our AD environment... I am wondering if the new GPO only shows with the higher AD level?

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: