Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

change dhcp server

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  change dhcp server

Posted May 15, 2015 08:13 AM

We have an Aruba 6000 mobility controller with four M3 cards.    We have migrated to a new dhcp server recently and to achieve this, I changed the ip- helper address in the cli for all 120 vlans on the master controller. ( I did it via cli so that I could create a script and a backout script easily to copy and paste into the cli ) .   Should this configuration replicate to all the m3 card locals when i type "wr mem" after the configuration change or do I have to replicate this change four fold on all locals as well ?  This would take me ages.   Is there a quicker way of achieving this dhcp server configuration change ?

• 2.  RE: change dhcp server
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 15, 2015 08:14 AM
    It will not replicate to locals. What is the default gateway of your clients, the controller?

• 3.  RE: change dhcp server

Posted May 15, 2015 08:25 AM

Hi

We have a layer 2 set up with our aruba controller cards all connected to a core switch .

The clients get a default gateway of an interface configured on the core switch.  

Does this make sense ?

• 4.  RE: change dhcp server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 15, 2015 08:27 AM
    Ok. I would add the helper addresses to your core switch instead of the controller.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: change dhcp server
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 15, 2015 08:15 AM
    Is the user's default gateway the controller or an upstream switch/router?

You would have to change this on every controller since it is IP information which is local.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 6.  RE: change dhcp server

Posted May 15, 2015 08:26 AM

Users default gateway is on the upstream switch .

So, I have to go and change the ip-helper address for 120 x 6 ( master, standby master and 4 m3 local cards!!!) . Im going to be busy.

Is there any other quicker way …………..what a monotonous task. Well, at least I have scripts ready , I suppose.  

Can you see any issue with us migrating  from /24 to /21 vlans in the future to avoid having so many vlans ?  Would there be any issues with broadcasts etc.

• 7.  RE: change dhcp server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 15, 2015 08:28 AM
    The recommendation is to use larger subnets in conjunction with broadcast/multicast optimizations and AirGroup.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 8.  RE: change dhcp server

Posted Apr 24, 2017 01:22 PM

As a newbie, im kinda confused with the defined default route setting going to the proper gateway. I need to get more specifics since mine is a refurbished unit (spectra) and I need some exact details before going to replacing parts.