Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

clearpass 6.7 HPE passport instead of Subscription ID

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  clearpass 6.7 HPE passport instead of Subscription ID

MVP
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 06:39 AM

So just upgraded a customers Clearpass in pre-production to 6.7.

It seems 6.7 does no longer use the subscription ID but rather forces me to use HPE Passport Credentials. Sigh, yet another account? 

So here goes: 

What is this passport?

Is it different from the My Networking Portal?

Why do I need one? Is there an advantage for me or my customers ? What is the advantage for Aruba/HPE?

Why don't the release notes give any info on how to obtain such an account?

How does this fit with my way of working (up to now) and registering all the licenses for my customers without having to bother them or the need for them to remember an account they will likely never use again? This does not change apparently.

EDIT:

Ok, I just found an option "Convert Legacy ClearPass to ClearPass NL" on the MNP site and off course I had to try this. Ended up converting the old licenses but euhm.. is that process broken, realy generous or do I simply not understand the new licensing? 

For a single CP-HW-500 (starter kit) I got 5025 AC, 25OB and 25 OG?

The redundant unit added the same.

A 100x guest license added only 100AC licenses.

The HPE Passport credential fields do accept my own MNP account but that would mean all my customers get free updates as long as my MNP account is valid? Why oh why couldn't you just keep using the subscription id Aruba? :(

• 2.  RE: clearpass 6.7 HPE passport instead of Subscription ID

Posted Dec 06, 2017 09:49 AM
    It is the same username / password you use to login in to the HPE support portal
    https://cf.passport.hpe.com/hppcf/login.do?hpappid=118682_MYNETWORKING_PRO_HPE

• 3.  RE: clearpass 6.7 HPE passport instead of Subscription ID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 11:09 AM

What is this passport?

- As Victor mentioned, it's just hte account you use with things like MNP, Partner portal, etc

Is it different from the My Networking Portal?

- no

Why do I need one? Is there an advantage for me or my customers ? What is the advantage for Aruba/HPE?

- Because we no longer use the subscription ID construct. It was a legacy ID which had issues when renewals came around.

Why don't the release notes give any info on how to obtain such an account?

- Because most customers should already have one. It's not specific to ClearPass.

One other side note, we recommend that customers create a new account tied to a distribution list and use that account for ClearPass so if an individual employee leaves the company, nothing will change. Similar best practice around contact emails for public CA certificates, etc.

All of this was covered in the partner TOI sessions.

• 4.  RE: clearpass 6.7 HPE passport instead of Subscription ID

Posted Dec 19, 2017 03:13 PM

>>

One other side note, we recommend that customers create a new account tied to a distribution list and use that account for ClearPass so if an individual employee leaves the company, nothing will change. Similar best practice around contact emails for public CA certificates, etc.

>>

Another Hint: use this distribution email address from your company in your Purchase Orders to yout partner, distributor or to HPE Aruba so the licenses can be attached to your HPE passport, that way its going to be even better and smoother.