Security

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

cp-redirect-address and 'aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch' together

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  cp-redirect-address and 'aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch' together

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2013 11:11 AM

Hi,

I have a master-local setup and due to 'enforce machine auth' on the corporate connections, I'd like to enable
     'aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch' in case of the master failing or becoming unavailable.

The APs will be split across both controllers which are co-located with same vlans and subnets etc.

If I have cp-redirect-address to point to controller A, what happens to guests terminating on controller B?  Will they bring up the captive portal on controller A, but still use the internal db on controller B?

Are these two commands mutually exclusive?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: cp-redirect-address and 'aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch' together
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2013 11:18 AM

Mutually exclusive.

• 3.  RE: cp-redirect-address and 'aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch' together

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2013 11:37 AM

though so.  thanks for confirming.

So if I put all the APs on one controller, I could have the  'aaa authentication-server use-local-switch' enabled.  Guest usage is limited, so in the event of a failure, they'll just have to create another account.  Without a master backup, my main concern is a seamless failover for machine auth clients.

Thanks again Colin.

• 4.  RE: cp-redirect-address and 'aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch' together

Posted Jul 15, 2013 03:12 PM

They have to backup the db from master and upload it on local. 

• 5.  RE: cp-redirect-address and 'aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch' together

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2013 10:54 PM

@Michael_Clarke wrote:

though so.  thanks for confirming.

So if I put all the APs on one controller, I could have the  'aaa authentication-server use-local-switch' enabled.  Guest usage is limited, so in the event of a failure, they'll just have to create another account.  Without a master backup, my main concern is a seamless failover for machine auth clients.

Thanks again Colin.

If you are enforcing machine authentication on that local controller, upon failover, they would have to pass machine authentication once agan.  That is because the record of passing machine authentication would be lost on the down controller.