Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

heads up on EAP-MD5 with version 6.5

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  heads up on EAP-MD5 with version 6.5

Posted May 05, 2015 02:28 AM

not sure how many people actually use EAP-MD5 but we do and it broke with the upgrade to version 6.5. apparently due to the encrypting of the password of the local user and admin database EAP-MD5 doesn't work anymore as it requires a plain text password for comparing. the alternative in 6.5 is to use the guest user repository or an external LDAP server.

for everyone that is using EAP-MD5 in which identity store do you put your username / password up to now?

#6.5

• 2.  RE: heads up on EAP-MD5 with version 6.5

Posted May 07, 2015 02:04 PM

I wanted to reply sooner but I've been OOO.

I've just had a LONG discussion with DEV about this issue. The short is that we will address this issue in an up-coming release, were actively reviewing solutions to decide what mix of function/feature/security will best work, deploying GUEST accounts is not the solution.

I will post back here when we close and I can share more details with you all.

• 3.  RE: heads up on EAP-MD5 with version 6.5

Posted May 12, 2015 03:30 PM

thanks Danny, good to see this will be addressed.

• 4.  RE: heads up on EAP-MD5 with version 6.5

Posted Oct 15, 2015 04:41 PM

Any update on this? Trying to get ShoreTel phones to auth via 802.1X with EAP-MD5 (auth type of ShoreTel) running 6.5.3.x.

• 5.  RE: heads up on EAP-MD5 with version 6.5

Posted Oct 15, 2015 08:56 PM

Josh,

The issue we 'intoduced' on 6.5.0, was fixed in 6.5.1.... in the releae notes it refers to 'reversable password'...... this was the crux of this problem.

• 6.  RE: heads up on EAP-MD5 with version 6.5

Posted Oct 24, 2015 07:51 AM

and i can confirm it worked fine for the customer where we had this issue.