Security

Super Contributor I

host/fqdn authentication

Hi,

Having a senior moment here.

I'm setting up an authentication service for our managed windows machines using user and machine auth.

When a user enters their username into the login dialogue box clearpass authenticates user <AD domain>/<userid> with whatever  passwoed against AD and things work. If no one is logged into the machine ( or the user logs out), an auth request comes in with the user-name set to <host/fqdn of machine> As  shown below in the table of RADIUS attributes. I've set up "normal" mac-auths before against static host lists without a problem. In this case I've :-

• Created a service that uses the username,nas-port-type , service type as the selection criteria ( servicetype is 802.1x ) should it be something else ... like a radius auth?
  • Used the Authentication method of all-mac-auths
  • Set up  a static host list created with the mac address of a "managed" devices
  • Used an authentication source of the static mac address list
  • Performed a check so I create a Role called machineauth
  • Generated an enforcement policy that uses an appropriate profile to drop the machine into a vlan based upon the fact that a role of machineauth exists.

What I get however, is an alert saying

Managed Devices: Client not found or not a MAC authentication request
MAC_AUTH: No password in request. Not attempting MAC authentication
Cannot select appropriate authentication method

All I want to do is say

"If I know the mac address of a device

and its a windows device

and the username is of the form host/<something>.its.york.ac.uk"

drop it into a named vlan called dps_maint

I'm guessing the error is there because the username isn't a mac-address so it isn't actually doing mac-auth so the auth-method isn't correct .... but what do I set it to. BTW, the vlan the device ends up in is nailed down and can only access a restricted set of local services.

Rgds

Alex

Username:
host/DPSLAP004.its.york.ac.uk
End-Host Identifier:
68-f7-28-07-70-49
(Computer / Windows / Windows Vista/7/2008)
Access Device IP/Port:
144.32.227.99:1
(xb1sw7 / HP)

Radius:HP:HP-Capability-Advert0x011a0000000b28
Radius:HP:HP-Capability-Advert0x011a0000000b2e
Radius:HP:HP-Capability-Advert0x011a0000000b30
Radius:HP:HP-Capability-Advert0x011a0000000b3d
Radius:HP:HP-Capability-Advert0x0138
Radius:HP:HP-Capability-Advert0x013a
Radius:HP:HP-Capability-Advert0x0140
Radius:HP:HP-Capability-Advert0x0141
Radius:HP:HP-Capability-Advert0x0151
Radius:IETF:Called-Station-Idec-9a-74-19-12-40
Radius:IETF:Calling-Station-Id68-f7-28-07-70-49
Radius:IETF:Connect-InfoCONNECT Ethernet 100Mbps Full duplex
Radius:IETF:Framed-MTU1480
Radius:IETF:Framed-Protocol1
Radius:IETF:NAS-Identifierxb1sw7
Radius:IETF:NAS-IP-Address144.32.227.99
Radius:IETF:NAS-Port1
Radius:IETF:NAS-Port-Id1
Radius:IETF:NAS-Port-Type15
Radius:IETF:Service-Type2
Radius:IETF:Tunnel-Medium-Type6
Radius:IETF:Tunnel-Private-Group-Id4003
Radius:IETF:Tunnel-Type13
Radius:IETF:User-Namehost/DPSLAP004.its.york.ac.uk
Radius:Microsoft:MS-RAS-Vendor11

Guru Elite

Re: host/fqdn authen

[ Edited ]

So you are configuring machine authentication.

Where does Mac authentication play a part here?  If a device has machine authenticated, you also want to check the static host list against a mac address to determine that it is managed?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Super Contributor I

Hi,Yup doing machine auth for a windows device.

The static list of mac addresses identifies the device as pone of our managed devices,the User-name identifes it as a windows box without a user logged on.

Guess it isn't mac-auth as the access-request packet doesn't have the user-name as a mac-address ... but what do I set the auth type to in this case? I can;t leave it blank.

A

Guru Elite

So, if you are combining checking the mac address of devices against a static host list along with doing 802.1x for the username and password, you do not need to create a mac authentication service.  You can just do the regular 802.1x service and then build a role/enforcement mapping that states "Connection Client-Mac-Address Belongs_to_group <static host list name>"

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Super Contributor I

Nope, the point is that when the user logs out of windows, the machine tries to "log in" with a username of the string host/fqdn of machine" as shown in the access-request packet I posted earlier. There is no 802.1x at this point, there isn't a set of real user credentials to use. in this case the machine fqdn is dpslap004.its.york.ac.uk, so I've got an Acces-Request  user-name attribute of "host/dpslap004.its.york.ac.uk" and the mac address of the device is  in a static host list. What I need to do is say

if user-name is host/dpslap004.its.york.ac.uk. and  "static host list" contains mac address of machine then send access accept packet that qwill place the decvice in a named vlan called dps_maint. As per the following attributes:-

1.Radius:IETFTunnel-Private-Group-Id=dps_maint
2.Radius:IETFTunnel-Type=VLAN (13)
3.Radius:IETFTunnel-Medium-Type=IEEE-802 (6)
4.Radius:IETFAcct-Interim-Interval=1800
5.Radius:IETFSession-Timeout=28800
6.Radius:IETFTermination-Action=RADIUS-Request (1)

Guru Elite

It is 802.1x machine authentication.  Ther user is host/<machinename> and the password is the SID or security identifier.  It comes in as a regular radius request and it is not different from a user doing 802.1x authentication.

If you do a check to see if the incoming user is a member of "Domain Computers" and combine that with role/enforcement mapping that states "Connection Client-Mac-Address Belongs_to_group <static host list name>", you should be able to get what you need.

Colin Joseph

Super Contributor I

Cool!

o.k. might have to do some work to see how to check for username being amember of  domain computers, but the rest of it is easy enough

Thanks

A

Guru Elite

You can use computer groups instead of using the static host list.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Guru Elite

alexsuoy wrote:

Cool!

o.k. might have to do some work to see how to check for username being amember of  domain computers, but the rest of it is easy enough

Thanks

A

See the thread here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/clearPass-Assign-authenticated-user-in-AD-with-user-roles-and/m-p/117605/highlight/true#M7801 for how to check the AD user groups of users/devices.

Colin Joseph

Super Contributor I

o.k Sorted

Switch machine on, machine auth drops it into maintenance vlan

User logs on, move to user-auth vlan

User logs off reauth back into maintenance vlan

Simples!

Many thansk for all  the help both on this thread and others I found

Rgds

A

Search Airheads
Showing results for