Security

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

iOS 8 & MAC Address Randomization

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  iOS 8 & MAC Address Randomization

Posted Jun 10, 2014 09:19 AM

http://www.cso.com.au/article/547177/apple_randomises_mac_addresses_ios_8_killing_off_key_ad-tracking_tool/

Has anyone played w/ iOS 8 beta & have you ran into any issues w/ Airwave monitoring, or with any logging or tracking functionality?  

--Raf

• 2.  RE: iOS 8 & MAC Address Randomization
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2014 09:22 AM
    It's only for probing. The device associates with its own MAC address.

• 3.  RE: iOS 8 & MAC Address Randomization

Posted Jun 11, 2014 11:18 PM

Even so, will this not affect ClientMatch as it utilizes client probes?  I see this as potentially causing more issues, especially when troubleshooting a client association issue.  If you suspect a client probing issue, how are you going to identify the client probes with a packet capture?

• 4.  RE: iOS 8 & MAC Address Randomization

Posted Aug 27, 2014 06:52 AM

Does anyone know if this will prevent MAC authentication from taking place?

If it probes the network with a random MAC but authenticates with its own correct MAC, i dont see that this should prevent MAC authentication from taking place.

On the other hand, if MAC authentication is in place as part of a layered security model, should the random MAC be in the list (is this going to be chosen from the Apple agreed list??) this could in effect authenticate a non authorised device, causing a security breach to the network

TIA

G

• 5.  RE: iOS 8 & MAC Address Randomization

Posted Aug 27, 2014 11:55 PM

I think that's the burning question -- how will these devices play with virtual beacons/11k, and legacy-mode client-match?  Apples already are one of the rockier platforms for match/steering and this feature doesn't bode well.  Hopefully it completely turns off while enterprise authed.

• 6.  RE: iOS 8 & MAC Address Randomization

Posted Sep 01, 2014 05:52 AM

Still remains to be seen what the effects will be, but once the device is actively associated to your wireless network it use it's own MAC-address. There is no ClientMatch etc before association right?

Tho - a system counting the number of MAC-addresses "probing the Air" will/might be worthless since all i-devices will probe with different MAC-address each time.