Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

obtaining root access via ssh to controllers using CPPM as radius

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  obtaining root access via ssh to controllers using CPPM as radius

Posted Dec 11, 2017 04:16 PM

I recently created a new service in CPPM to allow management access via radius auth to my controllers. This seems to work as expected when using the WebUI login. Aruba-Admin-Role correctly passes VSA 'root' or 'read-only' depending on user. When I SSH to the controller I get placed into the non-enabled prompt even with 'root VSA'.  I realized "enabled" is notthe same as root but I'm wondering if there is a way to configure it so a user with root priv would get placed into the enabled role automatically without having to type 'enable' then enablepassword.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2.  RE: obtaining root access via ssh to controllers using CPPM as radius

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2017 04:18 PM

• 3.  RE: obtaining root access via ssh to controllers using CPPM as radius

Posted Dec 12, 2017 09:52 AM

Thanks for the replies.

@Colin: What would happen if the ssh user was granted read-only priviliges via CPPM VSA? Would they also be dumped into the enabled level if enable bypass is, um, enabled? On the same vein, it appears a read-only user who connects via ssh can type enable and if they know the password they will be elevated. Is that correct? I would have almost expected the enable command to be denied for read-only users..

@Tim: All in good time re: TACACS+. The service isn't enabled yet on CPPM though that may well happen soon for other network devices.  Because the controllers do not make use of any returned attributes from a TACACS+ server I saw no reason to jump start the service on CPPM at this time. We're going from a local mgmt user to radius authn on the controllers so that's progress.

• 4.  RE: obtaining root access via ssh to controllers using CPPM as radius

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2017 09:55 AM
    Mike - you can't really do much on an Aruba controller without enable. That's why we recommend everyone use enable bypass. Returning read-only admin as the role will not allow config changes.

• 5.  RE: obtaining root access via ssh to controllers using CPPM as radius

Posted Dec 13, 2017 09:44 AM

True, which is a discussion for another day. Consider a scenario where we have very junior staff that I'd like to have provision/rename/regroup APs but whom I do not feel comfortable giving root access.

• 6.  RE: obtaining root access via ssh to controllers using CPPM as radius

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2017 04:19 PM
    Just curious, why are you using RADIUS instead of TACACS+?

To your question, you'd need to set 'enable bypass' on the controller(s).