Security

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

restricting mac address on SSID

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  restricting mac address on SSID

Posted Oct 11, 2013 02:23 PM

We are running ArubaOS 6.1.2.6 and we are looking to block certain mac address from connecting to certain SSID's.

Or

I would like to cerate a "blacklist" of mac addresses to and assign it to a wifi ssid.

how can I go about doing this with the verson of OS we're running?

• 2.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2013 02:39 PM

@Ericsante wrote:

We are running ArubaOS 6.1.2.6 and we are looking to block certain mac address from connecting to certain SSID's.

Or

I would like to cerate a "blacklist" of mac addresses to and assign it to a wifi ssid.

how can I go about doing this with the verson of OS we're running?

I will just say that any access method that forces you to maintain a list of mac addresses has to be able to scale, otherwise it will be come a chore and then probably discontinued.

With that being said you can enforce mac authentication on any SSID by using the instructions here:  https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-1126

• 3.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

Posted Oct 30, 2015 09:17 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to do this using the Virtual Controller?

We're using OAW-AP205 (Alcatel-Lucent branded Instant 205 devices) running on 6.4.3.1-4.2.0.0_51112

I cannot find the Configuration > Security > Authentication > L2 Authentication page.

Probably missing something obvious...

Thanks,

Peter

• 4.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

• 5.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

Posted Oct 30, 2015 09:56 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, however, this was not the original question.

I don't want to limit which devices may access an SSID, I want to control which devices may NOT!

...practically speaking I don't want company laptops to use the guest wifi (simply because different rules and content filtering policies were defined for guests than staff)...

• 6.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2015 10:02 AM

This is really a function of an authentication server with policy decisions. Do you have ClearPass?

Otherwise you'll have to maintain MAC to role assignments on the controller.

• 7.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

Posted Oct 30, 2015 10:18 AM

No, unfortunately we don't have ClearPass for the moment.

• 8.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

Posted Oct 30, 2015 10:45 AM

On Instant you can only block a MAC adress for every SSID. (Security -> Blacklisting)

• 9.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

Posted Oct 30, 2015 10:55 AM

Hi Sven,

Thank you for your reply, the key for me in it was every SSID. I want to block certain MACs from acessing just certain SSID(s).

Basically force company devices to use staff wifi, but not ban them entirely.

For now I can prevent associated hosts accessing WAN or other other zones, but I think it would be more relevant to prevent them accessing the guest WLAN in the first place.

Cheers,

Peter

• 10.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

Posted Oct 30, 2015 11:08 AM

This is what I understood in your post.

Differentiating is only possible with Clearpass.

What's the intention behind this?

Do employees have less problems in your guest wifi? Free bandwidth?

• 11.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

Posted Nov 02, 2015 03:39 AM

Hi Sven,

Two very simple things:

1. Company resources are not available from the Guest WiFi, obviously for security reasons. This is obvious for IT people, but not for end users... Long story short: I get calls complaining.."Peter, I cannot access the file server", "Peter, there is something wrong with the system, my email is not working", etc-etc...Yeah, right...try not to use the Guest WiFi...

2. Now you may ask why would they use the Guest WiFi? The reason for that is: Facebook. Social networking is not available using Staff WiFi except for non-working times.

Despite less available bandwidth using Guest WiFi, they choose to use that over the Staff...for facebook. Causing me extra tickets...

Cheers,

Peter

• 12.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2015 03:59 AM

ITPeter,

Do you use group policy to push the wireless settings to computers?  If you do, just setup an additional SSID on company computers that is the same as the guest network, but with a WEP key.  If you do that, the computers will not be able to connect.

I hope that helps.

• 13.  RE: restricting mac address on SSID

Posted Nov 02, 2015 04:02 AM

Hi Colin Joseph,

I like that one! Thank you for the idea!

Cheers,

Peter