Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

validate sponsor email against ldap

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  validate sponsor email against ldap

Posted Sep 18, 2014 11:57 AM

our guest port is setup to require a sponsor name and email but not require sponosor confirmation. i'd like to make the sponsor email query ldap to make sure the sponsor email is a valid email within our company and not abc@mydomain.com. Currently we're using isvalidemail validator with the array below just to confrim it's an email in our domain. Any suggestions?

array (
    'allow' =>
    array (
    0 => 'mydomain.com',
    ),
    'deny' =>
    array (
    ),
    )

• 2.  RE: validate sponsor email against ldap
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2014 12:00 PM
    Do you have an LDAP server defined in ClearPass Guest?

• 3.  RE: validate sponsor email against ldap

Posted Sep 18, 2014 12:11 PM

i don't currently.

• 4.  RE: validate sponsor email against ldap
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 18, 2014 01:28 PM

Like cappalli mentioned you need to define your LDAP server and enable LDAP lookup

2014-09-18 13_26_07-Available Plugins.png

2014-09-18 00_02_10-ClearPass Policy Manager - Aruba Networks.png

• 5.  RE: validate sponsor email against ldap

Posted Sep 18, 2014 02:17 PM

I've set that up.

close but not exactly what i was trying to do. i can set a field as a sponsor lookup field now but i'm just wanting the user to manually type in an email address and the field to give a warning if it's not a valid email in ldap. but i don't want to give them a search box or a list of valid emails that can be chosen. maybe i just need help with creating the form now. 

• 6.  RE: validate sponsor email against ldap

MVP
    Posted Jul 22, 2015 04:26 PM

Was their any resolution on this? I'm trying to do the same thing, but with sponsor's name instead of email.

Is there a way to query AD to see if that user exists, but I don't want them to see a suggested list of users. If that employee doesn't exist, they want to deny access or show error on registration page.

• 7.  RE: validate sponsor email against ldap

Posted Jul 23, 2015 03:34 PM

nope never did get it to work. just left it verifying proper @abc.com and watching for strange emails.

• 8.  RE: validate sponsor email against ldap

Posted Nov 10, 2016 06:55 AM

Hello,

I have this same problem.

I need to use the sponsor_email field, and when the user introduces the complete email, check if the email is valid in a LDAP group filter.

can you help me?

• 9.  RE: validate sponsor email against ldap

Posted Nov 11, 2016 03:00 PM

We have several items defined under ADMIN -> OPERATOR LOGINS -> SERVERS that are tied into our "Sponsor's Name" field on our guest self reg portal.

We have a custom LDAP filter defined under user search with the following --

(&
      (objectClass=user)
      (objectCategory=person)
      (|
        # Match users in any of these groups
        (memberOf=CN=some-group,OU=some-ou,DC=my-org,DC=edu)
      )
      (|
        # Match users by any of these criteria
        (sAMAccountName=*@SEARCH@*)
        (displayName=*@SEARCH@*)
        (cn=*@SEARCH@*)
        (sn=*@SEARCH@*)
        (givenName=*@SEARCH@*)
      )
    )

This allows users to punch in a few letters of a name and get a list of possible matching sponsors. We have a pretty large group of sponsors, and a lot of our guests are on mobile devices, so we felt that the convenience of only have to punch in 3 letters to get your sponsor outweighed the initial influx of "spam" emails that we received from random users off the street.

You could add (mail=*@SEARCH@*) to make emails a searchable item. You could remove the * * from each statement to make the exact search input the only thing that returns a result. I think. :)