Security

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

why use pre-auth check?

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  why use pre-auth check?

Posted May 13, 2013 03:20 PM

when creating a new web login on clearpass guest 6.1 (not sure about before) the pre-auth check is enabled by default, is there any good reason to use it when you are doing simple guest access from an Aruba controller?

i was a bit dissapointed by the clearpass guest user guide, 6.1 is better then 6.0 which seems to skip the web login all together (only bits and pieces can be found) but both don't explain the use of pre-auth check.

• 2.  RE: why use pre-auth check?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2013 05:05 PM

The way NAS devices like wireless controllers do authentication on external captive portals only allows  standard reject message handling like "authentication failed".  The pre auth check allows CPPM to provide advanced error handling of a reject like "your time limit has been reached" before a user logs in.  It is to do an end run around limited error handing of NAS devices on external captive portals.

• 3.  RE: why use pre-auth check?

Posted May 14, 2013 02:41 PM

thanks cjoseph, that makes a lot of sense.

• 4.  RE: why use pre-auth check?

Posted Aug 20, 2013 11:06 AM

So now the next question, how does pre-auth check get user on the network?   Is pre-auth and webauth service ordering significant?  I don't see any post-auth actions on pre-auth, so will user have to submit credentials a second time?

Agree the documents don't give any explanation as to the use of both services (or just one) to accomplish user auth.

• 5.  RE: why use pre-auth check?

Posted Aug 20, 2013 11:42 AM

i believe (but not a 100% anymore) that you will see two hits in the access tracker. there used to be a pre-auth service automatically generated with NAS-IP localhost (127.0.0.1), not sure how that goes in in 6.2.

• 6.  RE: why use pre-auth check?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2013 11:57 AM

We see two hits with pre-auth.