Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Oct 14, 2015 01:44 PM

I'm stumped

• 2.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2015 01:47 PM
    Instant or controller? 

Is AirGroup enabled?

Is drop bcast/mcast enabled? 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 3.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Oct 14, 2015 04:24 PM

It is controller based. Version 6.4.3

Airgroup is enabled along with all services (airplay, airprint, chromecast, Dial, Dial Media,etc..)

Flat network...same role...same vlan

We don't block any client to client traffic on this network

Took the test devices home and tried there and worked fine.

It will see it through the chromecast app, I can stream to it through youtube. BUt once I enter the netflix application and hit the chromecast button it does not see any chromecasts. Wierdly it does see a couple roku's and an xbox.

Spent some time on the phone with Aruba support today and they saw nothing that would indicate something is being blocked.

I am stumped

• 4.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2015 04:27 PM
    Do you see any blocked services in the blocked-service-id table?

• 5.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Oct 14, 2015 04:39 PM

nothing relating to DIal or chromecast

._sub._home-sharing._tcp

• 6.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Oct 15, 2015 07:56 AM
    I've seen this before but with IAPs, everything turned on, no blocking of sorts. YouTube works, etc.. Netflix wont. reboot of the Chromecast and making sure the Netflix app is no longer running in memory. try again and it works. still have no idea why. haven't really troubleshot to be honest.

• 7.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Oct 15, 2015 09:29 AM

It is crazy...Multiple IOS devices...different firmwares...2 different chromecasts...wiped two devices clean and started with a fresh slate and still happening.

Are there possibly different service ID's that are supposed to be under Dial or Chromecast possibly?

• 8.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2015 09:39 AM
    If they're not in the blocked list, then no. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 9.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Nov 06, 2015 01:52 PM

I've run into this exact weirdness on campus. Each of the past 5 chromecast setups were for someone using an iPhone and all 5 of them wouldn't work with Netflix, but Hulu, youtube, etc... everything else works. That and the Andriod Netflix for the same Chromecast works fine. Any chrome browser as well running netflix.

I'll have to test for blocked service ID's when I see one on next, but seems really strange.

• 10.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Mar 02, 2017 02:19 PM

I'm still running into this on our campus. None of the IOS devices can stream Netflix to a chromecast. Youtube, Hulu, Pandora, etc... work fine.

I spent time searching through every blocked airgroup service I could and still not sure. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be more people with this issue. It works perfectly on an Andriod - and just fine for the students at home on the same two devices.

• 11.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2017 04:45 AM
    Hi,

Seems I have the same issue at home. Chromecasting works perfectly with Android devices but with iPhone I can only cast YouTube (on both my wife's iPhone 7 and my iPhone 6).
    Using 7005 controller running aos 6.5.0.1
    I thought it was an iOS bug but after reading this thread it sounds like more on the Aruba side. I'll have a look on my conf so...

• 12.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2017 04:49 AM
    By the way did you find a fix ?

• 13.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Mar 27, 2017 09:13 AM

No, I have not found a fix. 

• 14.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Apr 20, 2017 03:55 PM

I editted my post until I could do some additional testing..  We just upgraded to ArubaOS 6.5.1.(4) from 6.4.3.(10) and IOS chromecast support has gotten worse.  While I can still see the chromecast in Google Home, now I can't see it in YouTube where I could previously.  I can cast from Chrome on MacOS and Windows, and Android can access it with all Apps, but nothing now from IOS.   Does anyone have an active TAC call open on this or should I pursue it?

(Note: the failing YouTube app resolved itself with a hard reset of the chromecast.  YouTube still broken)

• 15.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted May 17, 2017 08:00 AM

I opened a TAC case on this issue since we're suppose to go live with Airplay starting with the incoming Fall 2017 class.

• 16.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted May 22, 2017 04:12 PM

The solution was to create a new Airgroup service and allow the following IDs:

_googlecast._tcp

_sub._googlecast._tcp

urn:mdx-netflix-com:service:target:1

urn:mdx-netflix-com:service:target:0

urn:dial-multiscreen-org:service:dial:1

_atc._tcp

_ca5e8412._sub._googlecast._tcp

I can now cast netflix from iOS..

• 17.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted May 22, 2017 04:20 PM

Awesome news, thanks Mike. In terms of timing the students left campus on Friday :-(  but this will be great if we can start school next year with this working.

• 18.  RE: why will chromecast work with everything but from an IOS device using the netflix app%3F

Posted Dec 20, 2017 09:28 AM

So I've had these kind of problems aswell.

Not only with netflix but with other apps.

It seems like the iOS devices are adding a 'prefix' to the service which makes the controller not acting on the mDNS queries as it should.

Doing the work around shown above is not scalable in my opinion.

Here are some examples:

iphone with app 'CMORE', does not work

Aug 8 16:07:09 :527000:  <4298> <DBUG> |mdns|  mdns_pcache_prepare_matching_records 1081 Add MID: name=_2121C003._sub._googlecast._tcp.local, type=PTR, clasz=IN

Aug 8 16:07:09 :527000:  <4298> <DBUG> |mdns|  mdns_parse_query_packet 2089 There was no response to query from mac:xxxxxxxxx ip: xxxxxxxx

iphone with app 'TV4', does not work:

Aug 8 17:11:47 :527000:  <4311> <DBUG> |mdns|  mdns_pcache_prepare_matching_records 1081 Add MID: name=_67069778._sub._googlecast._tcp.local, type=PTR, clasz=IN

Aug 8 17:11:47 :527000:  <4311> <DBUG> |mdns|  mdns_parse_query_packet 2089 There was no response to query from mac:xxxxxxxxxx, ip: xxxxxxx

when we see this, it works:

Aug 8 16:08:21 :527000:  <4298> <DBUG> |mdns|  mdns_pcache_prepare_matching_records 1081 Add MID: name=_googlecast._tcp.local, type=PTR, clasz=IN