Standards

New Contributor

802.11n works with wpa-psk

Has anyone already use a SSID with wpa or wpa2 Passphrase with 802.11n clients?

Is 802.11n supports this kind of network authentication ?

Regards,

Yes, but not with TKIP...

Be a little careful here. There is some ambiguity in 802.11n around using high-throughput (HT) rates with TKIP as the cipher (and TKIP is the default cipher for WPA). Different vendors have done different things here based on their interpretation of the standard. Aruba initially did not allow HT rates on an SSID with TKIP, but after several client vendors started supporting it, we changed and currently allow it. However, that is going to change shortly.

The Wi-Fi Alliance recently came out and stated that TKIP should *not* be allowed in 802.11n, and starting April 30 will specifically test for this during Wi-Fi certification. If a vendor permits TKIP with 802.11n, that vendor will fail Wi-Fi testing. So Aruba and other vendors will be disabling that combination shortly.

You can use wpa-psk with AES encryption, and 802.11n, at the same time, but I would highly recommend using wpa2-psk with AES. All client devices should be able to support WPA2 today.

As for PSK mode, yes, it works great. I use it in my house every day. Just make sure to use a long and complex passphrase so that the PSK doesn't become a security problem.
---
Jon Green, ACMX, CISSP
Security Guy
New Contributor

Re: 802.11n works with wpa-psk

Ciao Jgreen,

How can I disable the HT from the controller having OS 5.0.3.1.

Many thanks.
SIMON.
Guru Elite

Ciao Jgreen,

How can I disable the HT from the controller having OS 5.0.3.1.

Many thanks.
SIMON.

To do this, the HT-SSID profile associated to the wireless network must have "High Throughput" unchecked.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Sorry, I did a mistake with the OS version; I'm using 5.0.2.0.
I dod not found the parametr you said.
Can you drive me please?

Many thanks.
SIMON.
New Contributor

I Just found it!

Bye
SIMON.