Training, Certification & Career

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Get more information about the HPE Aruba Networking technical training and certification programs. Network with your colleagues to improve your career, and post job availability for network engineers within your organization.
Expand all | Collapse all

Becoming Mobility Certified

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2014 11:42 AM

So who is planning on getting certified this year? It has been 3 years and my Aruba certs have expired. Anyone willing to study with me and create some awesome content for others to study as well? I am thinking notecards, practice questions, and discussions of cert topics. I feel that getting certified does two things for me. Helps me study parts of a certification that I would not normally encounter in my every day activities. It helps validate what I have learned and gives me a sense of accomplishment.

In this day, a wireless engineer needs to know more than just 802.11 and LAN fundamentals. We are asked to solution a gateway to all things for everyone and every device. We must know about security and BYOD, how to manage corparate assests over wireless, and also be able to troubleshoot hidden nodes and other wireless problems by reading into the packets/frames. 

Each month or so I will be taking one of the certifications listed below. While I am studying for a certification, I will be posting descriptions of the certification, creating study material/notecards, pointing out good study material, naming related classes that would help, and helping others with any questions. I have taken these exams before so it is a little easier for me. I recommend you focus on one per every few months. You can always come back here to get the material needed for the next certification you choose. 

Becoming Mobility Certified

• Introductory Video with written overview of certification
    • Certification Specific Training Courses
    • Practice questions (Around 30 per cert, “Question of the day”)
    • Tutorials (Written and Video)
    • Key Concepts (Written and Video)
    • Mobility Engineer Checklist
    • Becoming a Wireless Engineer

ACMA - May

lg-certification-badge.acma copy.png

CWNA - June

CWNAw.jpg

ACMP - July

lg-certification-badge.acmp copy.png

ACCP - August 

lg-certification-badge.accp.png

CWDP - September

CWSPw.jpg

ACDX - October

lg-certification-badge.acdx.png

CWSP - November

CWSPw.jpg

ACMX - December

lg-certification-badge.acmx copy.png

CWAP - January

CWAPw.jpg

Who wants to change their lives this year? Who wants to achieve a higher level of knowledge this year? Who wants to get that raise this year? :-p

• 2.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jan 06, 2014 11:53 AM

I'm up for it, if you don't mind working with a newbie.... I obviously can't go the full list to take them this year, but I'm up for studying for them..... I was planning to try and do at least the first few -- preferably before the conference, but that is probably a little optimistic..... the cost per test is a little high.... :-/ 

• 3.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jan 07, 2014 03:53 AM

Is there any chance of Aruba releasing some official material tailored for the courses, it seems slightly sad that they expect us to do this for ourselves without making it known what we need to learn for each certification. I know there are the "study guide" leaflets that list the topics, but this is a bit open ended. I said it before and I'll say it again, until Aruba get their documentation sorted out the can never hope to rival the big boy that is Cisco.

Anyway on a happier and more positive note - good luck guys.

• 4.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2014 11:11 PM

Matt, I will look into it. I know several people have mentioned it would be nice. But sometimes creating your own study material and studying for possible questions helps you learn even better. Also I believe that the goal is to have the knowledge not the certification. The certification is the prize. 

• 5.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jan 23, 2014 12:43 PM

I really like the intentions behind this thread.  Great idea.

My cert goals for 2014:

ACMP

CWNA

In preparation for the ACMP I'm going over my Boot Camp manuals and building my lab ( 2 3200XMs, 2 AP-105s, 2 MAS 2500s, and an esxi server for VMs).  I have also downloaded all the VRDs and will review them as well.

For the CWNA, I purchased the certification guide.

Also, Matt, I understand where you're coming from and have similar feelings.  There's an older thread here where you may want to reiterate those comments.

• 6.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jan 23, 2014 04:01 PM

I like this idea Sean.

I've been pushing off my ACMP for over a year now, it has been scheduled and I just keep re-scheduling it.

Even though i am knowledgeable, the certs prove it.

My goals would be (until the end of 2014)

ACMP

CWNA

CCNA

CCDA

ACCA (new cert - after I attend Airheads)

A lot I know.

• 7.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jan 26, 2014 02:30 PM

I've been working on a an ACMP study guide that I thought I would publish online. I copied the ACMP study guide bullet points, and filled in all of the relevant knowledge below each bullet point.  It's not complete, but I thought I'd publish it via OneNote.  I thought it would be awesome to make it editable so everyone can contribute, but my concern is there's no accountability and someone could purposely jack with it.  I'm wondering if anyone here has some Wiki knowledge and could set up a Wiki so that we could have a study guide that everyone can contribute to?  If not, I'll publish my study guide as read only when it's complete.

Also, for the ACMP are we expected to know CLI commands (I do, mostly) or is there more emphasis on GUI configuration?

• 8.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

MVP
    Posted Jan 27, 2014 06:43 PM

getting a wiki up and running is as quick as downloading a package on my nas.

That said, I'm sure there are much better free alternatives right?

http://www.wikidot.com/ for example? (disclaimer: I never used or even seen it before google'ing it 2 minutes ago) 

• 9.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jan 27, 2014 11:23 PM

Alright, well I'll give it a shot.  Will be purchasing a domain and some hosting soon.

• 10.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Feb 21, 2014 01:26 PM

I've also been working on an ACMP Self Study Guide using the bulet points from http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/education/SG_ACMP.pdf   

I've been pulling information out of the 6.1 Users Guide, CLI Reference and VRD's to 

for each item and putting into a word doc.  I think it would be a great idea to have something like this available for 

group editing.

I was able to pass the CWNA and CWSP because they have published guides

and practice tests.  You're right, it would be nice for Aruba to catch up to CWNP

and Cisco and put out some study materials so that people won't feel so intimidated 

walking into the tests.

• 11.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Mar 01, 2014 09:43 PM

@don wrote:

I've also been working on an ACMP Self Study Guide using the bulet points from http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/education/SG_ACMP.pdf   

I've been pulling information out of the 6.1 Users Guide, CLI Reference and VRD's to 

for each item and putting into a word doc.  I think it would be a great idea to have something like this available for 

group editing.

I was able to pass the CWNA and CWSP because they have published guides

and practice tests.  You're right, it would be nice for Aruba to catch up to CWNP

and Cisco and put out some study materials so that people won't feel so intimidated 

walking into the tests.

This year I need to focus on a couple of different vendor Cisco and Aruba being the main ones.  But I need some structure.  The first two I want to acheive are the ACMP and CWSP.  Then ACCP and finish off with CCNP Wireless.  It's a lot to chew on this year, so might only complete two certs.

But I wouldn't mind help writing a study guide, since writing it down helps me remember.  Let me know where I can help.

I've just started looking at 6.3 and it's a beast.

• 12.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 03, 2014 10:58 AM
      |   view attached

Rounding out CWAP studies and testing in the next few weeks. Goal is to get ACMP this year, hopefully before June. After June I will be allocating a lengthy study period toward expert level certifications in 2015/early 2016(CCIE, CCDE, ACDX, ACMX). Could others comment on their study methods, material, and topics of focus? Study methods and materials (pretty much the same as don:

- VRDs

- All guides (study, user, installation, command-reference, and MIB)

My biggest obstacles are that I do not have a lab environment (just production which limits me to going through the steps but no actual changes), nor do I have any lab guides.

Attached is a guide that I started to study and fill in.

Attachment(s)

docx
    ACMPStudyGuide.docx   19 KB 1 version

• 13.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Mar 01, 2016 09:20 AM

Aruba Training Courses directly map to most certifications.  IAW is for ACMA. MBC is for ACMP. CPE for ACCP.  Expert exams required more real world experience and additional classes. 

• 14.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Apr 13, 2016 09:09 AM

I've took my ACMA certification and i'm planing to take the ACMP in the next weeks...

My concern is... how more dificult is this certification regarding the ACMA? Could happen have same questions on the ACMP?

Many thanks

• 15.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Oct 14, 2016 08:55 AM

There is some cross-over material from ACMA to ACMP.  Others have pointed it out but there is a study guide at http://www.arubanetworks.com/certification

ACMP is not a delta test since ACMA is not a pre-requisite to ACMP.

---

From my experience so far, Aruba, unlike vendors such as Microsoft, Cisco or HP, expects you to have been out on a few installs and worked through some issues prior to taking the tests.  I have found multiple questions on both ClearPass and on Mobility that were not in any of the training class materials.  The only way you would have know those answers would be if you've struggled through some of them in the field.

This makes for a rather frustrating testing experience if you don't have the field time behind you.

John

• 16.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2014 11:08 PM

lkfirestoneI dont mind working with a newbie :-) . ACMA, CWNA, and ACMP should be your goals for this year. Lets do it together. 

• 17.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Feb 13, 2014 10:17 AM

I currently  have my ACMP (which automatically gives me ACMA?), and ACCP.  This year I plan on completing CWNA (testing at end of month), CWACDX, and if I'm crazy enough ACMX.

My issues with the ACDX and ACMX is I don't have a "study guide" like the CWNP exams.

• 18.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

• 19.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Feb 14, 2014 11:36 AM

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I meant something a bit different.  To pass the ACMP, I did the labs, and read the student guide, etc.  To pass the CWNA, I'm reading the Cybex book for PW0-105. 

To study material for the ACMX / ACDX, feels more disjointed.  I don't have a singular book.  It's not a big deal, it's just not ideal.

• 20.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

MVP
    Posted Feb 14, 2014 11:44 AM

it is far from ideal to be able to pass your first time but it is actually better to actually test what people know about the products rather than what they 'memorized' from the books in the weeks before.

• 21.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Feb 14, 2014 11:51 AM

No one would argue that.  However, not having practice test, seeing sample questions, etc makes me feel like I'm walking into the test a bit blind.  I know there's the study guide that has the list of topics and recommended reading, but it still feels lacking.  I guess I just want more than what's currently available.  If I was studying for the CCIE wireless for example, I would have a lot more of an idea about what I'm getting into.

• 22.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified
    Best Answer

Posted May 06, 2014 05:13 PM

Where in New Zealand I can prepare for ACMA?

• 23.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2014 05:16 PM

• 24.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2014 03:49 PM

Any of you guys planning on participating?  We would love the help with content of the discussion on topics. 

• 25.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 09, 2014 06:55 PM

Although I plan on taking the ACMP instead of the ACMA (I currently work in a multicontroller environment), I will help with posting material as they both have a majority of the same study points. I have already started studies, and have become comfortable with the Product Knowledge.

I used the Data Sheets to pretty much gain all the information for the Product Knowledge section.

I have also just finished up the Firewall Roles and Policies section. I used the Campus VRD, and 6.1. UG. One thing that has really helped is the Command Reference Guide as its helped me to understand the different options with the commands. Implementing ACLs in Aruba OS seems to be the basis of this section, so should be your focus of study IMO.

I'll see what additional information I can come up with.

• 26.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 15, 2014 12:23 AM

I did my part - studied and passed the ACMP. :)

Did the following to study:

• Been through the mobility bootcamp once or twice so I used the latest set of studen guides
    • Looked through the ACMP study guide and determined which study points I was weak in, then focused on those topics by reading the 6.1 User Guide.
    • Read through various VRDs to supplement material that wasn't present in the user guide

• 27.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2014 09:55 PM

Congrats man!

• 28.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 27, 2014 12:00 PM

I have a CWTS. That is a good start for anybody.

Please keep me on your list.

• 29.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 27, 2014 12:29 PM

Awesome! Are you going to work with us next month for CWNA?

• 30.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 27, 2014 12:32 PM
    I definitely will!

• 31.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 28, 2014 09:20 AM

I now have an ACMP, ACCP, CWNA, and CWDP.  I'm currently tackling the CWAP, and then the CWSP.  My question for you Sean:

Do the professional endorsements for the CWNE need to come from other CWNEs?

• 32.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 09:29 AM

Awesome! 

I do not know if it HAS to be CWNEs but I do know that what i have seen the sponsors are CWNEs. 

I will ask.

• 33.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 28, 2014 10:04 AM

Hey there!

You have a great start for heading towards CWNE!

No, the professional endorsements don't need to be from CWNE's [but it doesn't hurt ;)].

We typically look for endorsements from management, or from another professional, who has seen your work and your process, and can vouch that you have the expertise and experience that we look for from our CWNE's. 

Great question! Let us know if you have any others. :)

Julia B.

CWNP Rep.

• 34.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 28, 2014 10:11 AM

Thanks for the prompt response, and welcome to the forum.

• 35.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 28, 2014 12:10 PM

Thanks!  Happy to jump in. :)

• 36.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 28, 2014 01:04 PM

count me in, bringing 10 plus years of sys admin exp, lets start Aruba now

• 37.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 01:11 PM

Awesome!! Thanks. Yeah this month we are finishing up ACMA. If you go to the ACMA page you can see all that we have done. 

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Training-Certification-Career/Becoming-Mobility-Certified-ACMA-May-2014/td-p/158724

• 38.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 28, 2014 01:20 PM

isn't ACSP the first one to start..??

• 39.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 01:24 PM

Yes but most of what is ACSP is in CWNA. We will be covering CWNA next month. 

• 40.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted May 28, 2014 01:32 PM

ok i admit i am new to online blog learning, do you have some step by step as what to do to come up to speed with you guys since i started late..the web site you send me is good information but i am still lost, can you put me in right direction..

thanks

• 41.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2014 04:24 AM

Just click the certification at the top of the page for the month and see all the free training material available for that cert.

• 42.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jun 08, 2014 02:01 PM

Love to learn New Idea's of the trade

• 43.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jun 21, 2014 01:34 AM

I am in for the ACMP month. Have installed a couple of Instant and controller based networks for the past year and really want to pass my ACMP exam.

• 44.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 23, 2014 12:06 PM

Great! We will be opening up the ACMP page soon. 

• 45.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jul 04, 2014 10:09 AM

Is the ACMA a pre-requisite to doing the ACMP or can you just bypass and do the ACMP? 

Thanks

Bill

• 46.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jul 04, 2014 10:23 AM
    It's not.

• 47.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jul 04, 2014 10:24 AM

Thank You

• 48.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jul 14, 2014 05:42 PM

This is excellent! One of the folks in my ACMA/ACMP bootcamp class directed me to this thread. I just got my ACMP this morning and I am planning on starting the CWNA track as well. I'll catch up to your schedule and help with the material!

Fantastic resource. Thanks for putting this together.

-Garret West

• 49.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Dec 22, 2015 03:20 PM

as it is 12/15 and i'm just reading your post

i'm wondering if you could share your study resources for the ACMA

there doesn't seem to be much out there without digging really deep and then it only scratches the surface

• 50.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jan 28, 2016 04:33 PM

I am interested as well.

Please keep me posted.

• 51.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jan 28, 2016 11:41 AM

Count me in....just finished my ACMP training and im planning to take the exam by next month...

• 52.  RE: Becoming Mobility Certified

Posted Jan 24, 2017 11:06 PM

Hi!

Did anyone every put togehter any wiki documenation or the like on some study peripherals for ACMA, ACMP etc?? 

Sounded like a great idea, and being a newbie is a tough go, especially when you're teaching yourself.

Also, I see the CWNP certifications in your list. What are the benefits to gaining those certs that are outside of Aruba? General knowledge? Job recommendations or making you more marketable? something else? 

Thanks for your time!!