Training, Certification & Career

Chief Airhead

Becoming Mobility Certified

[ Edited ]

So who is planning on getting certified this year? It has been 3 years and my Aruba certs have expired. Anyone willing to study with me and create some awesome content for others to study as well? I am thinking notecards, practice questions, and discussions of cert topics. I feel that getting certified does two things for me. Helps me study parts of a certification that I would not normally encounter in my every day activities. It helps validate what I have learned and gives me a sense of accomplishment.

In this day, a wireless engineer needs to know more than just 802.11 and LAN fundamentals. We are asked to solution a gateway to all things for everyone and every device. We must know about security and BYOD, how to manage corparate assests over wireless, and also be able to troubleshoot hidden nodes and other wireless problems by reading into the packets/frames. 

Each month or so I will be taking one of the certifications listed below. While I am studying for a certification, I will be posting descriptions of the certification, creating study material/notecards, pointing out good study material, naming related classes that would help, and helping others with any questions. I have taken these exams before so it is a little easier for me. I recommend you focus on one per every few months. You can always come back here to get the material needed for the next certification you choose. 

Becoming Mobility Certified

• Introductory Video with written overview of certification
  • Certification Specific Training Courses
  • Practice questions (Around 30 per cert, “Question of the day”)
  • Tutorials (Written and Video)
  • Key Concepts (Written and Video)
  • Mobility Engineer Checklist
  • Becoming a Wireless Engineer

ACMA - May

lg-certification-badge.acma copy.png

CWNA - June

CWNAw.jpg

ACMP - July

lg-certification-badge.acmp copy.png

ACCP - August 

lg-certification-badge.accp.png

CWDP - September

CWSPw.jpg

ACDX - October

lg-certification-badge.acdx.png

CWSP - November

CWSPw.jpg

ACMX - December

lg-certification-badge.acmx copy.png

CWAP - January

CWAPw.jpg

Who wants to change their lives this year? Who wants to achieve a higher level of knowledge this year? Who wants to get that raise this year? :-p

Sean Rynearson | Chief Airhead
Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Occasional Contributor I

Re: Getting Certified in 2014

I'm up for it, if you don't mind working with a newbie.... I obviously can't go the full list to take them this year, but I'm up for studying for them..... I was planning to try and do at least the first few -- preferably before the conference, but that is probably a little optimistic..... the cost per test is a little high.... :-/ 

Super Contributor II

Is there any chance of Aruba releasing some official material tailored for the courses, it seems slightly sad that they expect us to do this for ourselves without making it known what we need to learn for each certification. I know there are the "study guide" leaflets that list the topics, but this is a bit open ended. I said it before and I'll say it again, until Aruba get their documentation sorted out the can never hope to rival the big boy that is Cisco.

Anyway on a happier and more positive note - good luck guys.

Chief Airhead

[ Edited ]

lkfirestoneI dont mind working with a newbie :-) . ACMA, CWNA, and ACMP should be your goals for this year. Lets do it together. 

Chief Airhead

Matt, I will look into it. I know several people have mentioned it would be nice. But sometimes creating your own study material and studying for possible questions helps you learn even better. Also I believe that the goal is to have the knowledge not the certification. The certification is the prize. 

MVP

[ Edited ]

I really like the intentions behind this thread.  Great idea.

My cert goals for 2014:

ACMP

CWNA

In preparation for the ACMP I'm going over my Boot Camp manuals and building my lab ( 2 3200XMs, 2 AP-105s, 2 MAS 2500s, and an esxi server for VMs).  I have also downloaded all the VRDs and will review them as well.

For the CWNA, I purchased the certification guide.

Also, Matt, I understand where you're coming from and have similar feelings.  There's an older thread here where you may want to reiterate those comments.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

I like this idea Sean.

I've been pushing off my ACMP for over a year now, it has been scheduled and I just keep re-scheduling it.

Even though i am knowledgeable, the certs prove it.

My goals would be (until the end of 2014)

ACMP

CWNA

CCNA

CCDA

ACCA (new cert - after I attend Airheads)

A lot I know.

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
MVP

[ Edited ]

I've been working on a an ACMP study guide that I thought I would publish online. I copied the ACMP study guide bullet points, and filled in all of the relevant knowledge below each bullet point.  It's not complete, but I thought I'd publish it via OneNote.  I thought it would be awesome to make it editable so everyone can contribute, but my concern is there's no accountability and someone could purposely jack with it.  I'm wondering if anyone here has some Wiki knowledge and could set up a Wiki so that we could have a study guide that everyone can contribute to?  If not, I'll publish my study guide as read only when it's complete.

Also, for the ACMP are we expected to know CLI commands (I do, mostly) or is there more emphasis on GUI configuration?

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

getting a wiki up and running is as quick as downloading a package on my nas.

That said, I'm sure there are much better free alternatives right?

http://www.wikidot.com/ for example? (disclaimer: I never used or even seen it before google'ing it 2 minutes ago) 

Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
MVP

Alright, well I'll give it a shot.  Will be purchasing a domain and some hosting soon.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: