Training, Certification & Career

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Get more information about the HPE Aruba Networking technical training and certification programs. Network with your colleagues to improve your career, and post job availability for network engineers within your organization.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wanted: Aruba engineers to install wifi for hurricane Sandy disaster response.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Wanted: Aruba engineers to install wifi for hurricane Sandy disaster response.

Posted Nov 03, 2012 07:45 PM

Hello,

Disaster Tech Labs is involved in supporting the disaster response work following Hurricane Sandy.

We've been mapping open wifi networks in the areas hit by Sandy for the last few days.

One of the organisations that we're affiliated with is now sending in a RV to function as a mobile command center and Internet cafe.

At the monent they are only using MiFi devices to share access but we're working on getting Aruba Networks equipment to them (Aruba is the main sponsor of our work). 

However we're short on volunteers and I am looking for one or two qualified volunteers willing to meet up with them, mount the equipment on their vehicle(s) and configure it.

They're in the greater philadelphia Pennsylvania area at the moment staging the equipment and can meet there or closer to NYC.

If you're willing and able to assist in this please comment here or email me directly on: contact_at_disastertechlab.org

Thanks you, Evert Bopp.

• 2.  RE: Wanted: Aruba engineers to install wifi for hurricane Sandy disaster response.

Posted Nov 04, 2012 11:39 AM

Ah come on people, nobody?!

It's adays work at most and just consider the good it will do!

• 3.  RE: Wanted: Aruba engineers to install wifi for hurricane Sandy disaster response.

Posted Nov 04, 2012 03:01 PM

Hi Evert,

I saw your posting wanted to respond to your request. I have forwarded your request to the Philadelphia and NYC area Aruba system engineers to see if they can provide some assistance.

Also, if you need support or assistance with configuring or troubleshooting your devices I invite you to reach out to our support team at support@arubanetworks.com or 1-800-WiFi-LAN and open a TAC case.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to assist your disaster relief efforts.  I can be reached at jhao@arubanetworks.com

PS - we attempted to reach out to you at info_at_disastertechlab.org but received a invalid recipient error.  Please let me know if you have alternate contact information and I can forward it to the appropriate team.

-Justin Hao

Technical Manager, Network Services CA

Aruba Networks, Inc.

• 4.  RE: Wanted: Aruba engineers to install wifi for hurricane Sandy disaster response.

Posted Nov 04, 2012 03:55 PM

Justin,

Thanks for following up on this and forwarding the request.

The bouncing email address is my fault as I typed in the wrong one after a very long day working on mapping wifi in NYC.

The correct email address is contact_at_disastertechlab.org

Our issue is not that we don't know how to configure these but that we're short-staffed and have no volunteers available to deploy.

The affiliated organisation why is sending in the RV have no network skills so that's why we need 1 or 2 engineers to donate a day of their time to install this.

Evert.

• 5.  RE: Wanted: Aruba engineers to install wifi for hurricane Sandy disaster response.

Posted Nov 05, 2012 03:58 AM

OK, the urgent need is now filled and we have an engineer en-route to NY.

However there might be future needs for qualified engineers to assist in the future, both in NY and in some of our other projects.

If youre interested in assisting please have a look at our websites 

www.haiti-connect.org

www.disastertechlab.org

and contact us directly.

Regards, Evert Bopp.

• 6.  RE: Wanted: Aruba engineers to install wifi for hurricane Sandy disaster response.

Posted Nov 09, 2012 04:31 PM

Quick update on this;

We have had two volunteers on-site since early Tuesday who have now built a wifi network in a shelter & command center in Rockaway, Queens.

Work is continuing though as Rockaway and surrounding areas have been seriously devastated and we've been asked to build wifi infra-structure in additional areas.

So please if you're available to assist in this please step up and make yourself heard, it's extremely valuable and rewarding work!

For soem visual images and technical data please follow this link.

Regards, Evert Bopp.

www.haiti-connect.org

www.disastertechlab.org

+353 86 8645099