Voice and Video

Frequent Contributor II

Microsoft Lync and Roaming

Seeing a similar thing here.

What code are you running ?

Also, is it correct that the output says "fastroaming disabled". I see this and we are using OKC and Validate PMKID, I would have expected fastroaming to be enabled.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

LEe
Guru Elite

Re: Microsoft Lync and Roaming

Seeing a similar thing here.

What code are you running ?

Also, is it correct that the output says "fastroaming disabled". I see this and we are using OKC and Validate PMKID, I would have expected fastroaming to be enabled.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

LEe

Fasttroaming in that message does not have anything to do with OKC. You need to specify exactly whatt is happening to what clients using what encryption and how long it has been happening. It may or may not be what the user above is experiencing.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Hi,

I see two main issues. One, client roams but drops packets when they roam, for example, one client I was testing with would roam to another AP, but during that time lost 8 pings in a row, this was enough for their MS Lync session to drop.

Second issue is that on occasion a user may be connected to another non-Aruba wireless network, then when they connect to the Aruba network, the client keeps the IP address of the non-Aruba one.

The Aruba network is WPA2/AES.

Thanks
Guru Elite

Firstt things first: Please download the Deploying Microsoft Lync Server guide here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/partners/PSB_MicrosoftLync.pdf The configuration steps in that guide requires ArubaOS 6.x for the "classify media" function to work with Lync.

Next, when a device roams from an 3rd party network to an Aruba network, is it the same SSID? If that is the case, the device does not assume that it should get a different IP address and keeps it. Smooth connectivity is not expected between two different wireless architectures. You can try to achive that, but it is not always possible...

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Hi,

Just to clarify, this is not a MS Lync specific issue, I just happened to mention that the time it took for the client to start sending/receiving data after a roam was enough for their MS Lync sessiong to show as "disconnected".

The roam from the 3rd party to Aruba is a different SSID and different IP subnet.

Regards,

Lee
Guru Elite

The client determines how fast it will roam, as well as if it keeps the same ip address on a different subnet. The new network can offer the client a different IP address, but the client must accept it. The infrastructure does not have any control over that.

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor II

I appreciate that the client makes those decisions, and they do roam, and by the AP's they are roaming to, they are making the right decision as to which one to roam to. My question is with regards to the packet loss, we never saw this before we put in the Aruba wireless and I would not expect that 8 lost pings (one example, the amount varies each time) in a row when a client roams.

With regards to the DHCP request, I have no doubt that the client is requesting an ip address, why the client doesn't receive a new one when it's associated to the Aruba network is what is puzzling me.

I see on Airwave that the client is assoicated and authenticated to the Aruba network, yet it's IP address is that of the neigboring non-Aruba wireless network.

What commands could I run to see what this client is doing when it tries to connect to the Aruba network ?

Just to add, the location we are running Aruba, was successfully running a leading competitors wi-fi infrastructure two weeks ago, the clients have not changed in that time, neither have the non-Aruba neighboring wi-fi networks.

Thanks
Guru Elite

What kind of client is this?

When you get packet loss are you roaming between 2 aruba access points or 2 different manufacturers access points?

The latter is not supported.

Having 2 different infrastructures within earshot of each other is not a good short term or long term strategy. Ultimately the client will have issues if it has 2 wireless networks defined and it will hold on to its primary network until it goes away and then it will suddenly switch to the second network without warning. Once again no network should be designed in this fashion. A client should connect to just one wireless network on a single infastructure. If he needs to connect to 2 infrastructures they should not be within earshot of each other. Clients and infrastructures are not designed to support this use case.

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor II

The client is Windows 7, HP Notebook

It is roaming between two Aruba AP's on the same controller.

On the last part, I'm not sure you are understanding me. We have one Aruba network, running the corporate SSID, and one "other" network, running a different SSID, the different SSID is WPA-PSK, corpoarate is WPA2-AES.

If I'm connected to the "other" network, then bring up the list of my available wireless networks and double-click the Aruba network, my client associates to the Aruba, but does not get a new IP address. It keeps the IP address on the "other" network. Note, this only affects a small number of clients, but enough to cause concern.

This is not a long-term strategy, but we have had two separate wireless infrastructures in this location like this for a long time, the only difference now is that one is Aruba and the other is not. I see this as no different to having the Aruba next to a freely available wifi hotspot that clients could connect to if they chose to.

I do not see why the client should have issues, we have multiple wireless networks in our labs and can quite happily flick between each of them when we want to.

If you know of any commands I can issue when my client is trying to connect, that would be great.

Thanks again
Guru Elite

The client is Windows 7, HP Notebook

It is roaming between two Aruba AP's on the same controller.

On the last part, I'm not sure you are understanding me. We have one Aruba network, running the corporate SSID, and one "other" network, running a different SSID, the different SSID is WPA-PSK, corpoarate is WPA2-AES.

If I'm connected to the "other" network, then bring up the list of my available wireless networks and double-click the Aruba network, my client associates to the Aruba, but does not get a new IP address. It keeps the IP address on the "other" network. Note, this only affects a small number of clients, but enough to cause concern.

This is not a long-term strategy, but we have had two separate wireless infrastructures in this location like this for a long time, the only difference now is that one is Aruba and the other is not. I see this as no different to having the Aruba next to a freely available wifi hotspot that clients could connect to if they chose to.

I do not see why the client should have issues, we have multiple wireless networks in our labs and can quite happily flick between each of them when we want to.

If you know of any commands I can issue when my client is trying to connect, that would be great.

Thanks again

If you want to find out why that client is getting that IP address, please consult the article here
http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=2373&

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: