Voice and Video

Occasional Contributor I

Roaming Issue - Cisco 7921G VoIP and Aruba

Hi,
We currently have a deployment of Aruba AP65's from a 3000 series controller on 3.3.2.20 code.
We are using only 802.11a for a VoIP deployment of Cisco 7921G SCCP phones.

Our environment has been checked for RF coverage and the coverage is good and well within spec for the cisco phones, thus we do not believe RF coverage to be the issue.

Problem is, when we roam from a corridor, into a comms room, the phone does not seem to roam effectively. The phone appears to roam to the access points within the comms room, but voice quality drops to the extend that it's unaudiable.
When roaming back to the original access point, voice quality does not return. Airmagnet VoFi traces confirm this.

We have tried various tweaks, such as dropping / increasing power, broadcast ssid, arm parameters, data rates, even moving access points, etc, all of which have had no effect.

We have followed the best practice guide for configuring the controllers for cisco voip, but we still experience roaming issues and poor voice quality

Has anyone had similar issues with roaming with the Cisco 7921G phone handsets and can offer advice upon configuration changes that can be done in the wireless controller?

Many thanks in advance
Aruba

Keep the faith ;)

While it looks like you have worked in several areas to optimize roaming, there are still some areas yet to leverage.

I would identify:

1) Software upgrade to the controller. The release you have indicated is months old. There is 3.4.3.x or 5.0.2.x available on the support site to download.

2) Has the firmware on the Phone been updated to a somewhat current release?

3) I know there have been documented cases of these types of phones not behaving when EIRP settings (aka power settings) are at certain values. If you haven't already I would work with Aruba TAC on walking through those EIRP settings/caveats, and workaround settings, when using these phones and see if things improve.

The combination of the above may well be the final ingredient you need to squelch this issue.

FYI, I have several deployments of these same phones in my region and they work OK with the Aruba WLAN including roaming. As I said in the title...keep the faith ;)
New Contributor

Re: Roaming Issue - Cisco 7921G VoIP and Aruba

While it looks like you have worked in several areas to optimize roaming, there are still some areas yet to leverage.

I would identify:

1) Software upgrade to the controller. The release you have indicated is months old. There is 3.4.3.x or 5.0.2.x available on the support site to download.

2) Has the firmware on the Internet Phonebeen updated to a somewhat current release?

3) I know there have been documented cases of these types of phones not behaving when EIRP settings (aka power settings) are at certain values for VoIP Service. If you haven't already I would work with Aruba TAC on walking through those EIRP settings/caveats, and workaround settings, when using these phones and see if things improve.

The combination of the above may well be the final ingredient you need to squelch this issue.

FYI, I have several deployments of these same phones in my region and they work OK with the Aruba WLAN including roaming. As I said in the title...keep the faith ;)

We have tried everything as well , even moving access points, etc, all of which have had no effect. We have done everything according to their guidelines and instructions for the controllers for cisco voip, but we still experience roaming issues and poor voice quality
I have the same issue with my Business VoIP on my Computer phone.

*** One thing I will say is that when we increased our bandwidth it helped with the quality a lot. Doing a VoiP Speed Test will tell you if you need more bandwidth.
Guru Elite

Re: Roaming Issue - Cisco 7921G VoIP and Aruba

What type of encryption are you using for the phones? What do the firewall policies for the phone role look like?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: