Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

New Contributor

2530 trying to connect aruba central even it's disabled

Hi,

I have 2530 switches running latest software (YA.16.05.0004).

I have disabled aruba-central since I don't need it or want to use it.

sh aruba-central
 Configuration and Status - Aruba Central
  Server URL           : None
  Connected            : No
  Mode                 : NA
  Last Disconnect Time : NA

Even it's disabled, switch tries to connect and logs warning message on log. There is no DNS server configured so thats why it says "unable to resolve":

W 03/26/18 11:32:55 05220 activate: Unable to resolve the Activate server address device.arubanetworks.com.

I have also 5406Rzl modular switch with same "problem". Aruba-central disabled and still trying to connect:

W 03/23/18 10:49:24 05222 activate: AM1: Error connecting to the Activate server: Activate TLS connection error.
W 03/23/18 10:49:24 05222 activate: AM1: Error connecting to the Activate server: SSL negotiation failed.
I 03/23/18 10:49:09 05226 activate: AM1: Successfully resolved the Activate server address device.arubanetworks.com to 104.36.249.201.

Is there way to disable aruba-central completly so it won't write anything to log or is this software bug that needs to be reported?

Re: 2530 trying to connect aruba central even it's disabled

Hi, 

I think these messages are not related to Aruba Central but to Aruba Activate. Did you already disabled activate provisioning and software updates? If not hereby the commands:

show activate provision (default on)

To Disable:

activate provision disable

show activate software-update (default on)

To Disable:

activate software-update disable

The message is not an error. It's more or less just saying it can find activate server. 

Hope this will help you?

Regards, Dobias

Frequent Contributor I

I've been told that the 2530 switches cannot use Activate anyway since they don't have a TPM chip. So you might as well disable Activate.

You're correct I'm very sorry I overlooked your switch type. The 2540 will be supported!

Contributor I

Just to clarify the TPM comment:

Aruba 2530 series switches do not have a TPM chip but can be managed by Aruba Central with 16.04 or newer firmware. The 2530 switches receive during the initial contact with Aruba Activate the certificates via EST (Enrollment over Secure Transport) which will be further used for connecting to Aruba Central.

If you don't want the ArubaOS switches to contact these public Aruba Activate and Central servers you can disable that in the CLI with the following commands:

- aruba-central disable
- activate software-update disable
- activate provision disable

Frequent Contributor I

Can the 2530 switches also use Activate for connecting to our Airwave server for ZTP with 16.04 or newer firmware?

Contributor I

I would assume that you can use Activate to ZTP to your Airwave server. But please be advised that only 2530 manufactured on or after July 2017 will be available on the Activate database

New Contributor

Hi Dobias Van Ingen,

You are right. I don't know why I didn't notice this. I overlooked log files it seems :)

I disabled now both activate services and now messages are gone from log.

As you said, there is no error. But I just want to keep my logs as clean as possible ;)

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: