Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

Posted Oct 09, 2017 02:42 AM

How can i make us of the aruba switch 3810M to make it function with my IP Phone using VLAN10 for voice to talk to the IP PABX and with my PC data in vlan20.. vlan20 is good and configured already workstations can talk to servers.HOW TO CONFIGURE THE SWITCH?HOW TO CONFIGURE THE SWITCH?

• 2.  RE: ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

Posted Oct 09, 2017 06:22 AM

We have done this in the past a couple of times. What you can do is to create a sort of hybrid port by setting the voice vlan (10) as tagged on the switch port while the data vlan (20) is untagged. It depends on your IP telephone model maybe. We use Cisco phones, and it worked for us.

• 3.  RE: ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

Posted Oct 09, 2017 06:28 AM

right now the ports are untagged to vlan20 the data vlan, but we are planning to use that for ip phones as well since we have created a voice vlan on the switch. do i need to specify the port settings as "hybrid" or only by tagging the ports to voice vlan..

• 4.  RE: ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

Posted Oct 09, 2017 06:33 AM

Port config like this should do it:

interface 1
       tagged vlan 10
       untagged vlan 20

It's been a few years since we did this, so I cannot say if it works under newer ArubaOS versions. An alternative would be to use 802.1x.

• 5.  RE: ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

Posted Oct 09, 2017 09:02 PM

any body from aruba switching engineering team can help me here because i have to deploy this to my customer and i need assistance from you guys, please

• 6.  RE: ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

Posted Oct 10, 2017 08:40 AM

I tested this yesterday on a 2530 with ArubaOS 16.04.0008, and it worked fine. The Cisco IP telephone got a DHCP address in the tagged (voice) vlan, and the laptop connected to the PC port on the phone got a DHCP address in the untagged vlan. I've had it connected like this for 24 hours without any problems.

• 7.  RE: ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

Posted Oct 11, 2017 10:01 PM

thank you! by the way do i still need to do the qos command for the voice vlan? qos priority? and also is 3810M aubra switch supports an IP Phone panasonic?

• 8.  RE: ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

Posted Oct 12, 2017 09:44 AM

If your switch supports vlans, and can be configured with a tagged and untagged vlan on an interface, it should be compatible with most or all IP Phones. 

Typically, the phone will either be configured manually to use the voice vlan, or will recieve (initially on the data vlan) an option from DHCP that will let it know what vlan it should start tagging things with. Once it starts tagging things with the voice vlan, the switch only needs to support vlan tagging.

One gotcha that I've found with Aruba switches is that by default when you enable LLDP the lldp tlv "network_policy" will be enabled. With that TLV enabled, and a "voice" vlan configured, a lot of phones will ignore what they get from DHCP in favor of what they get from there. That works fine, if you have configured it to hand out what they need, but if you prefer to use dhcp, make sure and use "no lldp config <port-range> medTlvEnable network_policy" (assuming that doesn't interfere with anything else)

• 9.  RE: ARUBA SWITCH AND IP PHONES

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 12, 2017 04:08 PM

Hi,

For QoS

switch(config)# qos type-of-service diff-services

switch(config)# vlan 10

switch(vlan-10)# voice

If you want to apply something more specific use this old but good thread

https://danielkuchenski.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/hp-switch-provision-qos-guide/