Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

New Contributor

Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

I have 4 Aruba 2920 switches setup in a stack confirmation.  I have several VLANS setup and a default Gateway of my Firewall for internet access.  I have a secondary Firewall connected to another ISP.  How would I configure the stack to use this secondary ISP if default gateway is not available?

Route Map?  Second gateway of last resort?  I don't mind doing the leg work just not sure where to start.  

Aruba Employee

Re: Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

Greetings!

You should be able to set multiple routes to 0.0.0.0/0, pointing at different gateways, and use a different metric for each one (lower for the preferred gateway, higher for the backup).

MATTHEW FERN – TECHNICAL MARKETING ENGINEER, WIRED INTELLIGENT EDGE
Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company

8000 FOOTHILLS BLVD  |  ROSEVILLE, CA 95747
T: 916.540.1759  |  E: mfern@hpe.com
Frequent Contributor II

Hi Matthew,

Can you please explain failover in that case? If primary link fails, will it failover to the backup one without any tracking?

JayBee
ACDX | ACCX| CCIE (RnS/SP,DC) | ACCP | ACMP | ACSA | ACMA | JNCIS | JNCIA
If the provided solution resolves your issue, please mark it as accepted solution to help others.
Aruba Employee

The routes follow the state of the VLAN the route is associated with (2920 Multicast and Routing Guide for 16.05, page 54); if the VLAN associated with your primary gateway goes down, the switch will remove the route from its routing table and start utilizing the secondary gateway.  When the primary link comes back up, the primary gateway will be re-added to the routing table and the switch will resume using it.

MATTHEW FERN – TECHNICAL MARKETING ENGINEER, WIRED INTELLIGENT EDGE
Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company

8000 FOOTHILLS BLVD  |  ROSEVILLE, CA 95747
T: 916.540.1759  |  E: mfern@hpe.com
Frequent Contributor II

Thanks Matt.. Informative!

JayBee
ACDX | ACCX| CCIE (RnS/SP,DC) | ACCP | ACMP | ACSA | ACMA | JNCIS | JNCIA
If the provided solution resolves your issue, please mark it as accepted solution to help others.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: