Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 3810M - Configure High Availability without Stacking module

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Aruba 3810M - Configure High Availability without Stacking module

Posted Jul 19, 2017 08:30 AM

Hi,

I have two Aruba 3810M 48 port switch which is using for server connectivity. We recently purchased this switch and it's running version KB.16.02.0016.

We don't have stacking module but we installed flexible-module A type JL083A.

Help me to configure the high availablity using this two switch. Which protocol need to use to enable HA.

I want to enable failover for server connectivity.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 3810M - Configure High Availability without Stacking module

Posted Jul 19, 2017 08:45 AM

Hi,

Without the stacking module, the switches can not be managed as one logical switch.  However, HA for server connectivity could be acheived using distributed trunking, potentially.  Switches would still be managed independently, though.  More information on DT can be found here:  http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/K-KA-KB/15-18/5998-8160_ssw_mcg/content/ch04s14.html

I would highly recommend purchasing some stacking modules and creating a stack, though, as opposed to using DT, if at all possible.

Best,

JJ

• 3.  RE: Aruba 3810M - Configure High Availability without Stacking module

Posted Jul 19, 2017 09:22 AM

Thanks for your info, will check further

• 4.  RE: Aruba 3810M - Configure High Availability without Stacking module

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2017 02:44 PM

Hi,

Maybe you can enable VRRP (Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol) between the switches so each has an static IP address and they share a virtual IP address to whom the servers responds as the default gateway.

The drawback of this is that there is no link aggregation only HA between both switches.

The config is something like this and you can obtain further info at the manual HPE ArubaOS-Switch Software Multicast and Routing Guide for
    K/KA/KB.16.03 page 247

# enable protocol

ip routing

router vrrp ipv4 enable

#

interface vlan <vlan #>

ip address <static vlan ip> <mask>

vrrp vrid <ID #>

virtual-ip-address <virtual ip address>

priority <priority # to define which switch will be the primary one>

preempt-mode

That config must be applied on both switches with different static ip addresses and priorities.

Hope it helps!