Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

Posted Apr 08, 2018 02:03 PM

HI All,

This is my first  project on Aruba 5400 series switches. I have to make redundancy (vrrp) between two core switches for my CCTV network access switches.  Please find attached both core switches configuration. and the drawing which I have on site.

I can see VRRP Master and Backup but the problem I am facing is whenever I am going to connect both core uplinks to end switches my whole  network goes down or not able to communicate. As soon as i am removing on core uplink everything seems fine.

Please check the configuration as I am purely new to Aruba. If possible please share relevant configuration for the same.

Please Note: As per below modules information i also not able to do VSF between two

- HP J9988A 24p 1GbE SFP v3 zl2 Mod

- HP J9988A 24p 1GbE SFP v3 zl2 Mod

- HP J9548A 20p GT / 2P SFP+ v2 zl Mod

Attachment(s)

txt
    CORE-2.txt   8 KB 1 version
    txt
    CORE-1.txt   8 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

Posted Apr 08, 2018 02:37 PM

People just viewing it but not replying ..what kind of vendor community is this ?

• 3.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2018 12:13 PM

Hello Zubair,

I am going to bring this up in our lab and get back to you with a solution ASAP.

Thank You,

• 4.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

Posted Apr 09, 2018 12:34 PM

Thanks, Priyank Patel for the reply

I would really appreciate if you can help me in this. 

• 5.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

Posted Apr 09, 2018 12:53 PM

Have you checked spanning-tree?  There's not much to your configs to look at if you're connecting them to access switches.  I don't see anything on your core configs as far as the connections to your access switches, ie, LAG's 

• 6.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

Posted Apr 09, 2018 01:08 PM
    As alreasy mentioned, Please check spanning tree. Stp is disabled by default at a Aruba switch. Make sure stp is also enabled at the access switches.

This looks like a loop and vrrp has nothing to do with loop prevention.

• 7.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2018 06:33 PM

Hello Zubair,

As mentioned by many contributors, you may enable spanning tree in your environment to avoid loops.  In addition, you need to globally enable 'ip routing' and 'router vrrp'.

As per my previous comment on this post, I quickly built a VRRP environment in our lab to provide you an example configuration which you can reference it for your environment.  Please, review my attached topology and configurations to find solution for your VRRP related question.  The topology includes (2) 5406R Core Switches, (1) Layer 2 Switch, and (1) Win 7 Client.  Note, the 'show' commands for VRRP are shown in the configuration file of CORE 1 and CORE 2 switch respectively.  The Layer 2 Switch has default configuration.  I have tested the configuration and verified that the client can reach either of those switches in the topology and vice versa.  In addition, the "Master" and "Backup" output is shown in the configuration file.

Thank You,

Attachment(s)

txt
    CORE-1-SW.txt   2 KB 1 version
    txt
    L2-SW.txt   403 B 1 version
    txt
    CORE-2-SW.txt   2 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

Posted Apr 10, 2018 02:48 PM

Thank you so much Patel for your support. As i am purly Cisco guy and this is my first time having work on Aruba and my company is looking more towords aruba for our clients. 

Now, to some extend i overcome loop but the issue i am facing now is when i am removing primary core uplink from edge switch then i am not able to ping or communicate to seconday core switch. 

i am attaching Primary and Secondary Core switches configuration, please check VRRP, STP and all other relevent configuration. Other thing is my spanning tree ports is not showing alternative or blocking port. 

I am bit confuse and tired of having these issues and i have to finish this asap.

Attachment(s)

txt
    Edge.txt   20 KB 1 version
    txt
    CORE-1.txt   67 KB 1 version
    txt
    CORE-2.txt   42 KB 1 version

• 9.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2018 07:51 PM

Hello Zubair,

After looking at your configs, I noticed you are running a very old build.  Please, upgrade your respective switches to the latest build version 16.05.

In the meantime, please, file a support case to further troubleshoot this issue in-depth, and provide me the case number so I can ensure it gets an appropriate attention.  I'll also try to implement this in my lab to see if I can provide you an recommendation on configuration.

Thank You,

• 10.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2018 08:39 PM

Is there a reason to have rapid mstp in your enviornnent?  We recommend 'mstp' in ArubaOS-Switch.  With that I have a working 'spanning-tree' configuration running in my lab.  I have attached the configurations and show commands indicating 'Forwarding' state for both CORE switches.

Thank You,

Attachment(s)

txt
    CORE-2-SW-CFG.txt   4 KB 1 version
    txt
    CORE-1-SW-CFG.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 11.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

Posted Apr 11, 2018 12:11 AM

Thank you Patel.

As i will implement this configuration today i will let you know. i will also try to upgrade IOS. In my network, we only need redundancy now so that access switches should communicate to each other in case of primary Core goes down.

No there is no specific reason to run RSTP, as i said i only need redundancy wehther from RSTP or MSTP. 

• 12.  RE: Aruba 5400 VRRP Help require

Posted Apr 12, 2018 05:06 AM

Hi Zubair,

For redundancy with 5400, you can use VRRP or VSF. VSF is Aruba "stack technology". With it, you delete STP problem and provide LACP link. In your configuration, with VSF all your VRRP IP will be the only VLAN IP interface.