Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Switches Event Log Erasing 2930F 16.04

This thread has been viewed 43 times
  • 1.  Aruba Switches Event Log Erasing 2930F 16.04

Posted Aug 22, 2017 01:08 PM

I am still trying to figure out why a factory restore does not "totally factory restore". We would like to resell a switch but I have tried lots of commands to remove / erase all entries from the event log like you would see if you got a new switch from "the factory". I would expect there is a file you can delete or otherwise to erase the log as we don't really want to resell a switch that has a thousand entries in the event log.

We have the lastest software on our test switch and I have tried many commands to try and remove all the entries in the event log. Maybe its not possible but i have looked through all the manuals but I cannot find out how to "erase all entries from the event log".

I would think if you're going to retire or resell a switch that you would want to reset the event log for the next customer. I realize there may not be any customer information in there but it just looks better to start with a clean event log. I kept thinking why would they not put a clear event log command or button.

Thanks for any help!

#2930F

• 2.  RE: Aruba Switches Event Log Erasing 2930F 16.04
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 04:36 AM

You can purge the event log with the following command:

sw-workshop-01# clear logging
    sw-workshop-01# show logging
     Keys:   W=Warning   I=Information
             M=Major     D=Debug E=Error
    ----  Event Log listing: Events Since Boot  ----
    I 08/23/17 10:18:20 00184 mgr: Log cleared as a result of  'clear logging'
                command
    ----  Bottom of Log : Events Listed = 1  ----

For a full factory reset, I would use the front-panel Clear-Reset buttons as described in the Installation and Getting Started Guide:

Restore the factory default configuration
    1. Press Clear and Reset simultaneously.
    2. While continuing to press Clear, release Reset.
    3. When the Global Status LED begins to fast flash orange (after approximately 5 seconds), release Clear.

Restoring to factory default :

• Interrupts the switch operation momentarily

• Clears any passwords

• Clears the console event log

• Resets the network counters to zero

• Performs a complete self test

• Reboots the switch into its factory default configuration including deleting the IP address, if one is configured.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Switches Event Log Erasing 2930F 16.04

Posted Aug 23, 2017 10:48 AM

Thanks for your help.

I have tried both processes again but i think the web caching was maintaining the log somehow (using firefox). In the web management, the event was saying the clear logging command was run but hundreds of events were still showing

So enter the following commands:

clear logging

save

then remove the power cord and clear any browser cache ctrl+shift+delete with firefox

then the event log was reduced to 64 events which is typical number of events when you start a new switch.

However, after running the factory default reset (using the clear and reset buttons) and deleting the browser cache - the events were still being saved in the log which is strange behaviour.

For now i will be running the factory reset then going to cli to run the clear logging, show logging, then save commands unless they build a function into the web management.

Have a great day!

• 4.  RE: Aruba Switches Event Log Erasing 2930F 16.04

Posted Jan 14, 2020 12:49 AM

Hi there.

I used "cle logg" command but it seems it only pretended to work because if I'll use "sh logg -a" command I'll show all log entries.

Is there way to clear logg really?