Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Fans don't report any S/N and Global Status LED is Amber On.

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Fans don't report any S/N and Global Status LED is Amber On.

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 07:14 AM

I noticed that commands:

• show environment (and show environment vsx-peer)
    • show environment fan (and show environment fan vsx-peer)

executed on ArubaOS-CX 10.01.0001 don't report any Fan's Serial Number (as N/A) neither for VSX Primary nor for VSX Secondary.

As example see below:

Aruba-8320-1# show environment fan
    Fan information
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fan           Serial Number  Speed   Direction      Status        RPM
    LC1-1L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9600
    LC1-1R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8100
    LC1-2L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9600
    LC1-2R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8100
    LC1-3L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9600
    LC1-3R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8250
    LC1-4L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9600
    LC1-4R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8100
    LC1-5L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9600
    LC1-5R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8100
    Aruba-8320-1# show environment led
    Mbr/Name       State     Status
    -------------------------------
    1/locator      off       ok
    Aruba-8320-1# show environment fan vsx-peer
    Fan information
    Fan           Serial Number  Speed   Direction      Status        RPM
    LC1-1L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9600
    LC1-1R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8100
    LC1-2L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9450
    LC1-2R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8100
    LC1-3L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9750
    LC1-3R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8250
    LC1-4L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9600
    LC1-4R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8100
    LC1-5L        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            9600
    LC1-5R        N/A            normal  front-to-back  ok            8250

I'm also noticing that both Aruba 8320 have Global Status LEDs active as Amber (Orange) - and I don't know if this detail is related to what I observed for Fans' Serial Numbers - it looks like that there haven't been evident issues so far (for what is worth I've done show tech basic and various show logging commands without finding anything special apart from Fans' Serial Numbers not being reported as described above).

Power Supplies (Serial Numbers are reported correctly on both peers) and temperatures look OK to me and also show selftest reports passed on both peers.

Any idea?

I'm able to provide show tech-feature basic file(s) - non sanitized - to Aruba TME or Product Development if required/suggested to do so.

Regards, Davide.

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Fans don't report any S/N and Global Status LED is Amber On.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 09:59 AM

Hi Davide,

When you check the fan on a 8320 you can see that there is no logic on the fan. It's just power provisioning (speed) and a connection to verify the fan speed. This implies that it is not possible to obtain the serial number from the fan. This can explain the result that you are seeing on the CLI. I am not sure whether there will be fans in the future with logic on it. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dik

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Fans don't report any S/N and Global Status LED is Amber On.

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 10:31 AM

Thanks Dik, really interesting.

I didn't noticed that on Aruba 8320 (I took Aruba 8400 Fans as example but, as you explained, Aruba 8320's Fans seems to have no logic...).

With regards to the Global Status LED On with Amber light...is there a diagnostic command I can perform to understand what is going on on both VSX peers?

Kind regards, Davide.

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Fans don't report any S/N and Global Status LED is Amber On.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 01:03 PM

Hi Davide,

There is a lot of stuff that you can do with the REST API. Checkout this video. This is covering a Flask app that I have developed that gets some real time information from ArubaOS-switch and ArubaOS-CX switches, including VSX diagnostics. And of course on the web GUI you can now find a VSX link that shows you a lot of information about the VSX status as well. By the way, if you checkout the Swagger API and obtain the VSX information (make sure to set the depth to 3), you will get loads of info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZnd9lmr0Q&t=43s

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Dik

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Fans don't report any S/N and Global Status LED is Amber On.

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 15, 2018 09:55 PM

Hello Dik, thanks for all you explained about REST API: I'm going to try it ASAP to gather as much info as possible.

Since I'm not sure why the Global Status LED is Amber On...to better diagnose this situation I'll also try to disable fastboot (no fastboot) - it should be enabled by default - and, once the fastboot is disabled, I'll reboot the Aruba 8320 to let it to perform POST diagnostic during booting process (Front-end Port Loopback and Register Read/Write tests)...this will also let me to watch any useful message (I hope) at console...in any case, once ArubaOS-CX has booted, via show selftest command I should be able to see more complete diagnostic results (I learned that, irrespective of fastboot status, only the Register Read/Write test happens each time at boot...instead Front-end Port Loopback tests are done only if fastboot is disabled otherwise they are skippped, that probably make sense causing the boot to be fast <- documentation uses an example that, if I'm not mistaken, is saying exactly the contrary [*]).

[*] Aruba 8320 Diagnostics and Supportability Guide for ArubaOS-CX 10 Edition 1 June 2018, sheet 83 (Example when fastboot is disabled).

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Fans don't report any S/N and Global Status LED is Amber On.

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 09:54 AM

Amazing...I think I finally found WHAT is the expected Chassis's Global Status LED color for normal Aruba 8320 operation: Amber solid On!

It looks like that Amber color doesn't mean anything faulty (which is very counter-intuitive since Green usually means OK and Amber or Red mean Not-OK)...in this case Amber color, at least for Chassis's Global Status LED, means OK (default operation).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The issue is really on published Aruba 8320 documentation, a mismatch about Global Status LED color meaning...examples? see:

So someone should definitely say what is the Global Status expected LED color for normal Aruba 8320 operation...and then, consequently, correct documentation.

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Fans don't report any S/N and Global Status LED is Amber On.

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 17, 2018 11:53 AM

...interestingly on August, 16th HPE published the Aruba 8320 Switch Series - LED Indicators web page finally clarifying my legitimate doubts...note that Global Status Chassis LED = Amber On means that "The switch has passed self-testand is powered up normally." ...it is counter-intuitive but, at least, it means that my setup hasn't any Hardware issue!

The above page means that some Aruba 8320 HTML/PDF documentation will really need an errata-corrige (examples provided in my above post and also vieweable on this page too <-- note how Amber On still means a faulty condition)!

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Fans don't report any S/N and Global Status LED is Amber On.

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 29, 2018 07:23 PM

The newly published Aruba 8320 Monitoring Guide for ArubaOS-CX 10.01 (3rd Edition, 26 September 2018) persists to declare that Aruba 8320 Global Status chassis LED's normal state is (solid) Green while the normal state is - as explained above, against any possible logic - (solid) Amber!

Who fix docs?