Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

BPDU-Protect vs BPDU-Filter

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  BPDU-Protect vs BPDU-Filter

Posted Jul 23, 2018 04:53 AM

How does this work in HPE/Aruba world?

I read a lot of non-HPE/Aruba discussions on why to use it or not. Still not really clear to me what all the uses are.

The main point of these discussions is that when you apply bpdu-filter and bpdu-protection at the same time on a port, bpdu-protection essentially becomes useless to block an unknown switch. Unless you configure bpdu-filter on a global level, then bpdu-protect will still kick in. This is in the Cisco world.

Otoh, there is the case for bpdu-filter where you want to hide your STP topology to an attacker.

What is the best practice in HPE/Aruba and how do you configure it?

That is, if i want to remain in control over who connects an unauthorized home switch/hub and to prevent loops. Can you configure it both on the interface at the same time?

• 2.  RE: BPDU-Protect vs BPDU-Filter

Posted Jul 24, 2018 09:44 AM

No one any ideas?

As to where i can find the exact behaviour in documentation?

Or someone who has set this up / tested it?

• 3.  RE: BPDU-Protect vs BPDU-Filter

Posted Jul 25, 2018 09:51 AM

Do not use bpdu-filter except for very specific circumstances! And certainly never globally.

BPDU-filter locks the port into forwarding mode - think what that might do for loops... The other thing bpdu-filter does is stop any incoming or outgoing BPDU packets - it filters them out. That is really useful if you want to connect two disparate networks - perhaps if you are at a venue, or you have different spanning tree configs on two networks that need to be joined.

I use it often at venues when we are setting up demos and events, and we need to connect to the venue network. Usually they will have something lile bpdu-protect on the ports, and if my switch does not have bpdu-filter on that port, the port will shut down.

I also use bpdu-filter in the lab when connecting my travelling roadcase networks to the main network. They have different MSTP configs, and filter stops the messages about inconsistency and/or the upstream port shutting down.

• 4.  RE: BPDU-Protect vs BPDU-Filter

Posted Jul 26, 2018 03:00 AM

@RLitchfield wrote:

Do not use bpdu-filter except for very specific circumstances! And certainly never globally.

BPDU-filter locks the port into forwarding mode - think what that might do for loops... The other thing bpdu-filter does is stop any incoming or outgoing BPDU packets - it filters them out. That is really useful if you want to connect two disparate networks - perhaps if you are at a venue, or you have different spanning tree configs on two networks that need to be joined.

I use it often at venues when we are setting up demos and events, and we need to connect to the venue network. Usually they will have something lile bpdu-protect on the ports, and if my switch does not have bpdu-filter on that port, the port will shut down.

I also use bpdu-filter in the lab when connecting my travelling roadcase networks to the main network. They have different MSTP configs, and filter stops the messages about inconsistency and/or the upstream port shutting down.

Thanks for the reply. Still I have some follow up questions:

In the way Cisco implementats it i see this post:

"However it will work differently depending on where you configure bpdu-filter and bpdu-guard!

The recommended implementation is to (at least IMO):

• -use bpdu-filter in global mode
    • -use bpdu-guard in global mode

That way you will enable it for all "portfast" ports and in case BPDU's are detected on those ports, the bpdu-filter will be disabled and the bpdu-guard will kick in. But instead of disabling the port, the bpdu-guard would detect that BPDU's was received and if it does the port would loose it's portfast status and it would go through all the normal phases of spanning-tree and if a loop was detected it would have been blocked.

The interesting thing is here that we can use these two in a couple of combinations depending on how you want your network to behave. But the reason i recommend it using both in global-config is because that would mean that you would still have the protection of STP, and the optimising of your network by not sending out BPDU's. Most other combinations come with pro's and cons.

Basically if you start to use bpdu-guard in interface-configuration, then you will need to shut/no shut the port in case it receives BPDU's. Or enable err-disable auto-recovery. But the port will shutdown.

If you use BPDU-filter in interface-configuration, then you will disable that port form sending and receiving BPDU's....effectively blocking the BPDU-guard function from working. But more importantly - loops can occur since you don't care about BPDU's.

However if you use it in global-config, you have the protection that IF BPDU's are received on the portfast-ports, then the bpdu-filter will be disabled so bpdu-guard WILL be triggered!

Hope that clears some confusion about bpdu-filter vs bpdu-guard. It's an often misunderstood concept."

Does this make any sense? Hence my question regarding the Aruba way of implementing it.

My other thought: would you hide your STP topology by means of this feature? Or is it a moot point since an attacker can craft lower bridge id packets anyway? If the attack vector is to take over the root bridge role, or create an intentional loop. What other L2 attacks would you need to be wary of?

One of the cases I read is that when you connect to a service provider network, you need to use bpdu-filter instead of protect (since you don't want interference with their STP topology). Is it possible in this case that a loop on the service provider network, could bring down your network?

• 5.  RE: BPDU-Protect vs BPDU-Filter

Posted Jul 26, 2018 10:01 AM

I haven't used bpdu-protect very often, usually to solve specific problems. Because it shuts the port down, it may have a bigger impact than what it was trying to resolve.

I use root-guard as a general protection mechanism, like these ports for a training switch where we do spanning tree.

spanning-tree
    spanning-tree A1 root-guard
    spanning-tree A2 root-guard
    spanning-tree A5 root-guard
    spanning-tree A6 root-guard
    spanning-tree A9 root-guard
    spanning-tree A10 root-guard
    spanning-tree A13 root-guard
    spanning-tree A14 root-guard
    spanning-tree A17 root-guard
    spanning-tree A18 root-guard
    spanning-tree B1 root-guard
    spanning-tree B2 root-guard
    spanning-tree B5 root-guard
    spanning-tree B6 root-guard
    spanning-tree B9 root-guard
    spanning-tree B10 root-guard
    spanning-tree B13 root-guard
    spanning-tree B14 root-guard
    spanning-tree B17 root-guard
    spanning-tree B18 root-guard
    spanning-tree B22 root-guard
    spanning-tree B24 bpdu-filter
    spanning-tree Trk1 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk2 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk3 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk4 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk5 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk6 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk7 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk8 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk9 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk10 priority 4 root-guard
    spanning-tree Trk48 priority 4 root-guard
    no spanning-tree bpdu-throttle
    spanning-tree config-name "HPE Aruba Training"
    spanning-tree config-revision 1
    spanning-tree trap errant-bpdu new-root root-guard
    spanning-tree priority 0

Port B24 is sometimes connected to a different STP domain (hence the filter). If more than one port was connected to the other domain, I would have a loop and a problem...

Most of the ports have root-guard enabled (single or aggregated/trunk); all the ones connected to student switches do.

The best manual for spanning tree is the "Advanced Traffic Management Guide".